Weather / Storm Watch thread ..

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
It is much cooler in North Donegal. Sunny, but with a strong , cool breeze. No problem sleeping last night...

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018

Lightening BUT no rain ..
Temperature here has dropped to 33, thunderstorm expected but so far nothing but a few claps of thunder and a spitting of rain.

Went to 36 today, thankfully the breeze from the river ensures that it is not oppressive. Every window in the house open to capture and circulate the breeze.

Have not installed a/c, got through last summer with fans.

Outlander

Feb 15, 2019
Away
Temperature here has dropped to 33, thunderstorm expected but so far nothing but a few claps of thunder and a spitting of rain.

Went to 36 today, thankfully the breeze from the river ensures that it is not oppressive. Every window in the house open to capture and circulate the breeze.

Have not installed a/c, got through last summer with fans.
You find the adulation cooling?

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
It is much cooler in North Donegal. Sunny, but with a strong , cool breeze. No problem sleeping last night...
Yes I noticed it was only 15C in Malin yesterday, the next coolest being Belmullet on 22C. Here in Longford it has now been 28C four days in a row. I have moved half my potted plants under trees as they were literally frying, and I have been leaving the dog and cat in the house during the day, much to their bemusement. There's a bit of a breeze tonight thankfully. Anyway sleep is impossible so the perfect excuse for (outdoors) wine on a work night!

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
Here in the Midlands there was a welcome relief in temperature last night. This morning it looks like today is going to be a big one. It's already 24° in the shade at 09.50.

Apr 24, 2020
Just been on a jaunt through the Midlands. Hit 31 on the car's external thermometer.

The N7 toll, when I dropped the window, Jesus, it was like Spanish heat. Hope the toll attendants have AC in the booths.

Air con is wonderful. As is an insulated water bottle full of very iced water...

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside
Just been on a jaunt through the Midlands. Hit 31 on the car's external thermometer.

The N7 toll, when I dropped the window, Jesus, it was like Spanish heat. Hope the toll attendants have AC in the booths.

Aircon is wonderful. As is an insulated water bottle full of very iced water...
I agree on aircon in the car is great I could imagine the meltdowns my three-year-old would have in a car without it.

Apr 24, 2020
I agree on aircon in the car is great I could imagine the meltdowns my three-year-old would have in a car without it.
And the genuine heat stroke risk. And how we ignore the signs.... I remember spending the same 4 hrs in similar heat in a black car with no AC. You'd be in bits.

I miss ventilated seats on days like this. Blowing cooled air on your arse and back* is nice....

*feckin "notions".... far from that ye were reared....

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside
And the genuine heat stroke risk. And how we ignore the signs.... I remember spending the same 4 hrs in similar heat in a black car with no AC. You'd be in bits.

I miss ventilated seats on days like this. Blowing cooled air on your arse and back* is nice....

*feckin "notions".... far from that ye were reared....
Would you not wear your mankini.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
We had torrential rain last evening, thunderstorm and it lasted for a half hour or more.
Didn't have to water the plants.
I cut the lawn at about 11:00 today. The grass was so wet that the mower was clogging. Couldn't believe it. Otherwise, eveything was bone dry - roads, paths. All regional met stations in my area reported 0 rain in previous 24 hours. I left 2 windows in the bedroom open last night and woke in the early hours thinking I heard rain but dismissed it as imagination.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
And now, the end is near, as we approach ....

However, the end of the heatwave appears to be in sight - and it will bring the threat of thunderstorms sweeping across Cork from early afternoon tomorrow.

They are likely to be strongest back from the coast, where severe heat has built up.

Met Éireann says we can expect significant rain and the threat of thunder in Cork City tomorrow from around 2pm - skies will darken and we could get the first rain in almost two weeks.

Nov 29, 2018
Sounds absolutely charming.....

The French tourism board will have you on a retainer....
My town is too edgy to be on the tourist board's radar. We have various festivals and are also known for our nuthouse, sorry mental health facility, we are highly diverse from being a dumping ground for refugees from the Spanish civil war and later when the French left Algeria. We love it, it keeps the Brits out and we are very find of the girl, who lives as a day patient at the nuthouse, who murdered her da.

One of the reasons why our covid numbers have been lower than nearby towns, cities and villages is because of our edginess. We have a great local administration, black bins collected three days per week, green weekly, bags supplied free as part of our local taxes.

Streets cleaned daily, free concerts four nights per week during the summer. Carnival from January to March, strong gusts of the Tram from the river, cheap wine, weird museums, we can manage a couple of days of high temperatures and humidity.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
My town is too edgy to be on the tourist board's radar. We have various festivals and are also known for our nuthouse, sorry mental health facility, we are highly diverse from being a dumping ground for refugees from the Spanish civil war and later when the French left Algeria. We love it, it keeps the Brits out and we are very find of the girl, who lives as a day patient at the nuthouse, who murdered her da.

One of the reasons why our covid numbers have been lower than nearby towns, cities and villages is because of our edginess. We have a great local administration, black bins collected three days per week, green weekly, bags supplied free as part of our local taxes.

Streets cleaned daily, free concerts four nights per week during the summer. Carnival from January to March, strong gusts of the Tram from the river, cheap wine, weird museums, we can manage a couple of days of high temperatures and humidity.
Sounds idyllic. Stepford comes to mind 😆. Only joking!

Nov 29, 2018
It reminds me of Dublin in the 1950s/70s. Laid back, live and let live. Bit grubby and fraying around the edges, fell on it be accident but absolutely love it.

Apr 24, 2020

They're there, aren't they...

Arrived after the first paragraph.....

Threatening you with Irish food, Paying for bin collection and P-STV voting for your remaining years..

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

So it seems batten down the hatches from about 2pm in Cork city and surrounds ( up top right add your location to get a local forecast )

Definitely far cooler, breeze. Temporarily welcome :D ... but its looking to be max 20c or less for the coming week or more. Back to normal service it seems :D

Top Bottom