Weather / Storm Watch thread ..

Apr 24, 2020

Is it ever going to warm up FFS. Even that article is maxing out at 17 deg in next week, not exactly tropical :D
It was 7C yesterday evening.... utter shite weather....

Yet, the car is warm in the sun. The heat is there, its the feckin wind direction and rain.

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
It was 7C yesterday evening.... utter shite weather....

Yet, the car is warm in the sun. The heat is there, its the feckin wind direction and rain.
I was out in the back garden today, looked wonderful through the kitchen window, but when I went out the wind was cutting…

Nov 29, 2018
Sitting here in the south of France, after a week of high temperatures we are being treated to thunderstorm of epic proportions. Just what was need to clear the air, lightning is disappointing, only sheet variety so far but the rain is of monsoon proportions. That has the added bonus of saving the effort of watering the garden.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Sitting here in the south of France, after a week of high temperatures we are being treated to thunderstorm of epic proportions. Just what was need to clear the air, lightning is disappointing, only sheet variety so far but the rain is of monsoon proportions. That has the added bonus of saving the effort of watering the garden.
We have had a wonderful sunny, warm June here in Dublin, with every garden flower a-bloom

But reporrs from the West and North West are more mixed, with quite a lot of rain, or showers anyway

Nov 29, 2018
We have had a wonderful sunny, warm June here in Dublin, with every garden flower a-bloom

But reporrs from the West and North West are more mixed, with quite a lot of rain, or showers anyway
This my second year here and these thunderstorms are not unusual. I could feel it coming with the pressure in the atmosphere. Reminds me of the amazing thunderstorms I enjoyed as a child in August in the west of Ireland. Watching the lightning breaking out over the Atlantic was just incredible. So far the Irish lightning remains superior.

It will be back to normal tomorrow with temperatures of 30+ which I love.

Despite the thunderstorm, it is 27 degrees, I sat on my terrace, under the awning until my cigarette got too wet to smoke.
I hope the good weather continues in Ireland as, all going well, I will visit for the first time since January 2020.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018

You are describing a different planet to where I live. It has been dull, cloudy and cool, though not too wet. This evening I've had to bring some seedlings indoors because apparently the temp is going down to 5C tonight. It has been a lovely sunny evening but only 15C! My flowers only started blooming this week, most are at least a month behind last year.

Nov 29, 2018
After last night's storm, normal service has resumed, 40 on my terrace but the breeze from the river ensures that it is not oppressive.

Those of us on the river had no problems with flooding but in a area quite s distance from the river there was flash flooding, I suspect that the drains were overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the rain. All gone this morning.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Its so hot in Canada at the moment its causing many deaths plus people now have to go to cooling centre just to survive this heat ( LBC )

The OD

Mar 26, 2019
Then there is this rather alarming news:

In Pakistan’s Jacobabad, temperatures are beyond human tolerance

52c which is too hot for humans to survive in. This is not the first time this has happened, I think its three years in a row now. Between fresh water security and this sort of heat its not looking good for many places around the globe and of course its the poorer nations that will be affected first as usual. But hey, some people think that climate change is a myth or some natural cycle because that's helpful to someone who cannot irrigate their farms or are dying from overheating.

Apr 24, 2020
Then there is this rather alarming news:

In Pakistan’s Jacobabad, temperatures are beyond human tolerance

52c which is too hot for humans to survive in. This is not the first time this has happened, I think its three years in a row now. Between fresh water security and this sort of heat its not looking good for many places around the globe and of course its the poorer nations that will be affected first as usual. But hey, some people think that climate change is a myth or some natural cycle because that's helpful to someone who cannot irrigate their farms or are dying from overheating.
Or that there is any alternative to having to accept displaced people from lands that can't support life.

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
Hottest temp ever observed over 70 degrees North of the Equator:

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Hottest temp ever observed over 70 degrees North of the Equator:

Another day, another record. It is happening all over the place, though the forest fires in Cyprus and 50C+ temps in Iraq, amid power cuts, also deserve a mention.

I think from now on each summer will become an occasion of dread for many parts of the world, as whole countries possibly become uninhabitable in a matter of years rather than decades. I suspect that in 10-15 years' time people will barely remember Covid, except perhaps as a brief gloomy interregnum between the last time things were relatively 'normal' and the real horror show to come.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
USA and CANADA are literally burning again.

LOTS more pics in that article above. Heard one contributor on CNN last night saying the heat is so bad its like after your oven is on for an age and you open it. That intense blast of heat you get from that is permanent in places in USA at the moment

And relatively here its looking like its going to get seriously hot as the week progresses and into next week with High Pressure on the way over us

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
USA and CANADA are literally burning again.

LOTS more pics in that article above. Heard one contributor on CNN last night saying the heat is so bad its like after your oven is on for an age and you open it. That intense blast of heat you get from that is permanent in places in USA at the moment

And relatively here its looking like its going to get seriously hot as the week progresses and into next week with High Pressure on the way over us

Met Eireann suggests about 27 degrees for Athlone on Sunday/Monday.

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Just to say our house has been affected by this, hopefully just the ground floor, as we are still not fully moved over yet, family can't get to it as the roads are all blocked and whole village is in chaos, actually the whole region in a 150 km radius is up shit creek right now. We're hoping a neighbour can get in later today once they have put out their own fires. Thankfully fully insured as we reckon partial or most of downstairs (kitchen ect) got hit

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Just to say our house has been affected by this, hopefully just the ground floor, as we are still not fully moved over yet, family can't get to it as the roads are all blocked and whole village is in chaos, actually the whole region in a 150 km radius is up shit creek right now. We're hoping a neighbour can get in later today once they have put out their own fires. Thankfully fully insured as we reckon partial or most of downstairs (kitchen ect) got hit

Good at least that you are insured - hopefully not too much damage.

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Good at least that you are insured - hopefully not too much damage.
Thanks, the main issue we have at the moment is being 700 km away, and even though our neighbor has a key they are too busy dealing with the general catastrophe to check on the house just yet. We think phone and electricity is totally down there now as well. All we can do is hope for the best, we got some photos and videos yesterday we think downstairs is destroyed

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry

Sorry to hear that, it must be awful for all effected.

BTW, exactly what dies 120litres of raIn mean?
Is that per m2?

Top Bottom