TV and Movies

Feb 19, 2019
Started watching Band of Brothers again, episode 1 D-day drop episode 2 Arnhem, flippin hell. I'd forgotten the bits where they had the real life easy company vets taking as well.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Remember early on in the pandemic last year Matt Damon was staying on lockdown in Dalkey .. this was the film he was involved in

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
This could be worth a look for the craic at 22:00 BBC4 Tonight. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000y2g7

Seems to be a bit like Irish country music. Just when you thought it was successfully exterminated in the 90s, it reemerges in popularity among young people now.
Nearly over. Never heard of Hillsong Church TBH. Very large worldwide op.

Almost par for the course it too mired in child sex controversy & sex abuse via the original founder. Son runs it now it seems.

Apr 24, 2020
Personally I'd actually show all the old concentration camps and mass-execution films in schools if I had my way. And tell the kids "This is what supposedly civilised people do if they're not bloody careful."

Sure it would give kids complexes - but there are some things about which we should have complexes. I probably have a complex about many of those Holocaust images myself, and I saw a lot of them in an unsupervised way as a kid back in the 60s. But I think maybe there's some things kids should have complexes about - things that serve as warnings and alarm signals. I know it was seeing some of these images that primed my innate reaction to the first images of suffering I saw from Bosnia - you didn't need explanatory articles or sophisticated arguments to react to seeing people in camps again.
We brought the kids to Anne Frank's house, and we all sat down to watch "The boy in the striped pajamas " and also the serialisation of the Diary of Anne Frank. And then lectured them on fascist parallels between brexit nationalism , MAGA, and fascism in Germany .

No way that shit is being forgotten on our watch.

Having Jewish surnames in the family tree, makes it resonate for our kids too.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Two movies I watch and watch again for some reason:
  1. DEEP IMPACT 1998 ( Was On tonight on E4 )
  2. The Day after tomorrow 2004
Both make me sad each time, more so Deep Impact, just something about it, that end ( spoiler below if you have not seen ) & just the whole finality of it and I suppose something that could happen in reality at anytime.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

Good show on RTE1 at the moment. All Irish Bands performing. Special tribute to PHIL LYNOTT coming up. This is a series every Saturday night. Great to see. ( RTE+1 or on catchup rte player )

Top Bottom