TV and Movies

Sync?

Feb 15, 2019
The Watermelon Patch
Derry Girls is back! With ep 1 of season 2 and all of season 1 behind us: This is so far a perfect show. The acting's fantastic, the music's great, the script is always very tight. Sister Michael is a constant delight.

Captain Marvel is out this weekend. I'm in but not overly optimistic. I do continue to be amazed by Marvel/Disney's deaging software. Sam J looks great in the ads.

ted08

Jan 7, 2019
Tis on the list, as is re-watching seasons 1-7 of Game of Thrones before the final season starts mid April.

Dec 4, 2018
Planet A
This Time with Alan Partridge

WTF?

Critics seem to love it while viewers are much more mixed...

Can't say I've thought either episode has been in any way funny... nor even cringe-worthy in the way David Brent was back in the day...

A bit of a miss for Coogan I reckon...

Sync?

Feb 15, 2019
The Watermelon Patch
There were good elements in the first, but the second one was far more miss. It's surprisingly, disappointingly safe. In the Knowing Me Knowing You show the creepiness of the dead former presenter would have made up much of the humour. All the bitterness, inferiority complex and self-imposed failures of Partridge aren't there at all.

Sync?

Feb 15, 2019
The Watermelon Patch
Proven Innocent has started over here on Universal. Legal drama with Kelsey Grammer. Eeeeesh. Grammer is great. Hornsby is great. Everything and everyone else need to be put in the dumpster out back and put on fire. Especially the writers and showrunner.

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
I'm assuming it is old enough to discuss without worrying about Spoilers - Wire in the Blood, episode Synchronicity - WTF? did they edit out a huge chunk towards the end? Suddenly Tony is confronting the culprit ....

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Deutschland 86.... started watching this on RTE-2 recently and then saw that Channel 4 has the previous series Deutschland 83 on catch up so i'm nearly finished that one as well... ....

It sort of reminds me of The Sopranos at times with some of the black humour and ridiculous situations ......

D

Deleted member 72

Deutschland 86.... started watching this on RTE-2 recently and then saw that Channel 4 has the previous series Deutschland 83 on catch up so i'm nearly finished that one as well... ....

It sort of reminds me of The Sopranos at times with some of the black humour and ridiculous situations ......
The subtitles on RTE were too small to read so we switched to All4, great series.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
The subtitles on RTE were too small to read so we switched to All4, great series.

The good news is that they are apparently going ahead with Deutschland 89........!

Also watching The Looming Tower on RTE-2 .....i understand that some of it is dramatized for TV but some of the allegations in the flash forwards is pretty damning from official records.. ..

Colm

Administrator
Nov 26, 2018
Derry Girls, as usual, was fantastic last night, Partridge was shocking enough with the IRA songs!

Sync?

Feb 15, 2019
The Watermelon Patch
Reservoir Dogs on TV. Such a great flick.

Sync?

Feb 15, 2019
The Watermelon Patch

I mean everyone just has to go to this. It's simultaneously hilarious and terrifying. I have so many questions. But mostly: Why are so many of the cats wears what must be the corpses of other cats?

Nov 27, 2018

I mean everyone just has to go to this. It's simultaneously hilarious and terrifying. I have so many questions. But mostly: Why are so many of the cats wears what must be the corpses of other cats?
Because they're cats.

Lovely animals, but pragmatic.

Nov 28, 2018
Yes it took a British TV channel to give you Irish boys an insight into Irish girls.

Twenty five years ago. :)

That is truly safe sex.

Kongming

Mar 13, 2019
For reasons, I’ve binged Narcos over the past few weeks.

Its good, not great, but good. My Spanish isn’t good, but from watching the show, I had reached a point wher I had become less and less reliant on the subtitles.

Then em they moved to Mexico. Turns out that they have strong accents in other languages....I’m back relying on the subtitles again.

Still, worth a watch.

Kongming

Mar 13, 2019
Looking forward to seeing this. Pacino, Pesci and DeNiro, directed by Scorcese in a mob flick.

Netflix might have have a real shot at some Oscars this year. The Academy will have to take note.

S

Sky

Looking forward to seeing this. Pacino, Pesci and DeNiro, directed by Scorcese in a mob flick.

Netflix might have have a real shot at some Oscars this year. The Academy will have to take note.

So should Tarantino and Pitt, both long overdue and both thoroughly deserving in Director and Supporting Actor categories for Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood.

Kongming

Mar 13, 2019
So should Tarantino and Pitt, both long overdue and both thoroughly deserving in Director and Supporting Actor categories for Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood.
I don't think Quentin can schmooze the Academy the way Scorcese can....nor does he have the experience.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
Had a look at Cillian Murphy's first film Disco Pigs ( on youtube ). Not too bad, it's like The Butcher Boy was reworked with the Disco 2,000 song lyrics as inspiration.

Nov 27, 2018
I don't think Quentin can schmooze the Academy the way Scorcese can....nor does he have the experience.
Tarantino might also be a bit too tainted from Harvey Weinstein to be given an Oscar in this day and age. Tarantino has said himself that over the years he had heard things first-hand, and could have done more with the information that he did.

Nov 27, 2018
Had a look at Cillian Murphy's first film Disco Pigs ( on youtube ). Not too bad, it's like The Butcher Boy was reworked with the Disco 2,000 song lyrics as inspiration.
It's easy to see why his career exploded after Disco Pigs - it's an excellent and very creepy performance. After that any part that needed a good-looking character who could flip instantly into scary psycho mode was his.

Come to think of it, there are very few things that Cillian Murphy's been in where the "going psycho" switch hasn't been flipped...

S

Sky

It was an adaptation of an Enda Walsh play that he was in the original run of, so he knew the character inside out.

S

Sky

Think you're confusing the Oscars with the Golden Globes, it's a vote by the (about) 6500 members.

Tarantino has been nominated for Best Director at least twice.

Scorsese has only won it once from about 8 nominations.

Last edited by a moderator:

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
I'm considering dropping our sky subscription - hardly ever look at the box - but getting Saorview just in case - €170 one off including indoor aerial - plus another €60 for a hard drive to record and playback, if desired.

Gets all the Irish channels.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
I'm considering dropping our sky subscription - hardly ever look at the box - but getting Saorview just in case - €170 one off including indoor aerial - plus another €60 for a hard drive to record and playback, if desired.

if you have sky, just get a freesat box, pr. All the UK channels and the latest ones have a hard drive built in.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
if you have sky, just get a freesat box, pr. All the UK channels and the latest ones have a hard drive built in.
I do have Sky atm Holls - but I don't want to continue the subscription. Long story but they were significantly overcharging me for almost 2 years.

Is freesat a once-off, or do I need a sub. (I'm clueless about TV, obviously).

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
I do have Sky atm Holls - but I don't want to continue the subscription. Long story but they were significantly overcharging me for almost 2 years.

Is freesat a once-off, or do I need a sub. (I'm clueless about TV, obviously).
There's no sub. You won't get the pay channels obviously, but you'll get all the free to air uk channels. RTE is on a different satellite, so saorview mighty be the answer for that (most new tvs are saorview ready), or get a dish with a motor so you can pick up a few different ones, if you're into the European channels.

I'm going to go down the motorised dish route, myself at some indeterminate point in the near future...

ETA, if you leave the sky dish up, you'll only need an FTA satellite box. I've installed a couple of these for colleagues over from the uk on long term contracts.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019

That's crazy money to be spending on Saorview, if you have a modern TV it will receive Saorview through the old TV aerial system in the house, there's no need for a special digital aerial. Also as Hollandia says, you can just plug in a freesat box into the satellite cable feeding your existing sky box and get the UK channels and more on it. In fact you can buy a combination satellite and saorview box for about €60 and stick a hard drive or USB stick onto it for recording. If your existing TV is in any way modern then it should be able to record the Saorview channels to a USB drive.

If you have a Smart TV it will be able to use the rte player app to give you RTE without an aerial. If you're a luddite, maybe you're better off ignoring everything I said and going with your original plan.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
That's crazy money to be spending on Saorview, if you have a modern TV it will receive Saorview through the old TV aerial system in the house, there's no need for a special digital aerial. Also as Hollandia says, you can just plug in a freesat box into the satellite cable feeding your existing sky box and get the UK channels and more on it. In fact you can buy a combination satellite and saorview box for about €60 and stick a hard drive or USB stick onto it for recording. If your existing TV is in any way modern then it should be able to record the Saorview channels to a USB drive.

If you have a Smart TV it will be able to use the rte player app to give you RTE without an aerial. If you're a luddite, maybe you're better off ignoring everything I said and going with your original plan.

Thanks - I will investigate further.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
There's no sub. You won't get the pay channels obviously, but you'll get all the free to air uk channels. RTE is on a different satellite, so saorview mighty be the answer for that (most new tvs are saorview ready), or get a dish with a motor so you can pick up a few different ones, if you're into the European channels.

I'm going to go down the motorised dish route, myself at some indeterminate point in the near future...

ETA, if you leave the sky dish up, you'll only need an FTA satellite box. I've installed a couple of these for colleagues over from the uk on long term contracts.
The older sky boxes work as a free to air box once the subscription has been terminated and card removed. Some of the newer ones needed a white card to keep them running and the newer sky plus boxes are probably impossible to use without a subscription.

The free to air boxes are dirt cheap from China, €20 or so. For a real amateur the much dearer UK Freesat boxes will do all the tuning which is a godsend and they do series record and proper 7 day epg as well. You were talking about going motorised. I used to have a few offsets on a fixed position satellite dish, but I found that while it was fun setting it up, there was very little watchable on the foreign satellites.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
The older sky boxes work as a free to air box once the subscription has been terminated and card removed. Some of the newer ones needed a white card to keep them running and the newer sky plus boxes are probably impossible to use without a subscription.

The free to air boxes are dirt cheap from China, €20 or so. For a real amateur the much dearer UK Freesat boxes will do all the tuning which is a godsend and they do series record and proper 7 day epg as well. You were talking about going motorised. I used to have a few offsets on a fixed position satellite dish, but I found that while it was fun setting it up, there was very little watchable on the foreign satellites.
There's some great stuff on French tv.

Nov 27, 2018
I'm about a third of the way through the second season of Mindhunyrr on Netflix.

It's extremely good. It's all just talking.

D

Deleted member 52

I'm about a third of the way through the second season of Mindhunyrr on Netflix.

It's extremely good. It's all just talking.
Just watched series 2 of Mindhunter over the weekend..

Series 1 was brilliant, series 2 was just okay, the acting was excellent but I found some of the interviews they had tedious, especially the one with Charles Manson which was boring and pointless, it seemed to have been stuck in there for no other reason but, "Hey, Charlie Manson". We're also led to believe at the beginning that Ford's panic attacks are going to be a thing and then they're not.

The ending was leading up to a series 3 and if there isn't a series 3 then WTF?

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
There's some great stuff on French tv.
That's if you can speak French. I try to understand just a little of what the French racing commentators are saying and all I can hear properly are words like quatrième position and stéréophonique ( it makes no sense at all why the word stereophonic would be used multiple times during a race ).

If you get a multiple lnb holder and disceq switch you will be able to get the UK channels plus Astra 1 which is the French and German channels and Hotbird which has mainly Italian channels all on the one feed into the satellite box with no delay of motor moving to each position every time that you change satellite.

Top Bottom