Troubles Amnesty Pleases No One

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
On another level, this damages unionism, in that NI is again being treated very differently from the rest of the UK. This is much more serious than your choice of sausage.

And that's a bad thing because?

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
The reality is than apart from London, nobody want an amnesty for them'uns.
On the face of it, yes, based on what we hear in the news. On the other hand in wider NI society there is a large body who've always wanted to draw a line under things and move on. Some of that body are victims and relatives of victims too. There's no one size fits all solution to this, nor was there ever going to be.

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry

Nobody , and no victims groups are supportive of this .
The BBC news tonight said that contrary to
suggestions that SF are in favour, they are not.
They interviewed Gerry Kelly and he made it very clear , that as an ex prisoner, ex IRA member and SF member he nor anyone else involved in any of them are in favour of the Government approach.
The above link is of all the interviews with invested partys, unfortunately it does not include the Gerry Kelly's interview.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
On the face of it, yes, based on what we hear in the news. On the other hand in wider NI society there is a large body who've always wanted to draw a line under things and move on. Some of that body are victims and relatives of victims too. There's no one size fits all solution to this, nor was there ever going to be.
Presumably so. I mean, ultimately, what's the alternative?

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Maybe something like truth and justice.
Any alternative to burying the past has been resisted by the British government, time and time again.
Pat Finucane, bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy , the Glenane gang, and more.
Well there could be a truth and justice commission as well but no one seems to want that either.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
I'm unsurprised it's essentially the English that are in control now they're looking after their own.

Surely this hastens the Border Poll also.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
I'm unsurprised it's essentially the English that are in control now they're looking after their own.

Surely this hastens the Border Poll also.
Not quite yet for the border poll, Soc. I think that requires another two years of the UK acting the bollox re Brexit to see any sort of long term shift in thinking in the middle ground and the moderate wing of unionism. Things will really move when farmers start getting hit in the pocket via loss of CAP subsidies.

Though the conversation has started, it needs wider participation as well. Still very much viewed as a SF project, and I'm sure they'd welcome additional input from other POVs.

Oh yes, and we need a new Taoiseach as well for that to happen.

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
The fat lady has yet to sing.

Prof Honeydew

Nov 28, 2018
OMG, what an ungrateful pleb!

After all Boris Johnson, Brandon Lewis and Johnny Mercer have done for him, an ex-squaddie under investigation tells them to shove their amnesty up their Tory arses.

May 21, 2021

Holy shit, according to the newsletter collusion and murder don't mater...because IRA 🤦‍♂️

What a sad sad position to take on justice in the troubles, just how pathetic do you have to be not to see the issue as a whole and not having one murder more equal then the next. And this is from their editorial board?

Prof Honeydew

Nov 28, 2018
And that united front against the amnesty shatters just like that.

Another Tweet from Alex Kane shedding another sliver of light on what Lewis, Johnson, Mercer and their pals are up to.

...he (Brandon Lewis) had briefing talks with representatives from both loyalist and republican paramilitaries before he published the proposals....
If Reichskomissar Lewis, as is claimed, met with "representative of paramilitaries", I doubt if he was talking to the Dissos as well as to the Loyalists - even though these are the only paramilitary groupings active in the Six Counties?

However, if he was talking only to the UDA and UVF, then he's just following the lead of the DUP, UUP and TUV who have surrendered any pretence of political leadership to the drug-pushing hoodlums terrorising the communities they claim to represent.

I suppose there is a level of consistency in this development seeing that, in Tory and Unionist circles, differentiating between British Army murderers and Loyalist murderers is becoming increasingly difficult - a point ex-British military chaps like UUP Leader Doug Beattie and his predecessor Steve Aitken must surely appreciate.

mac tíre

Nov 28, 2018
Contae An Dúin
OMG, what an ungrateful pleb!

After all Boris Johnson, Brandon Lewis and Johnny Mercer have done for him, an ex-squaddie under investigation tells them to shove their amnesty up their Tory arses.
LOL. We believe him. Nothing to do with acting the big man now that he is safe.

After all, he spent all his time up to now trying to evade his day in court. Take away his gun and his mates and they aren't so hard after all.

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
And that united front against the amnesty shatters just like that.

This about sums it up.

Does anyone still believe there are moderate unionists?
It is simple coincidence that It is SFs leaders turn to chair this meeting.
Beattie seen another chance to establish his loyalist credentials at the same time as destroying any United front against this legislation that let's his mates in the armed forces away with cold blooded murder.
Who is Pullling his strings I wonder?

As I said elsewhere, since Terence O'Neill, evey leader of unionism has gone down the "appeal to the bigots and extremists" route.
It worked spectacularly well for Paisley, and they all want to emulate that.

Last edited:

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018

Top Bottom