To hell with streaming, let's talk radio

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
I'm a big radio listener, especially news and music. Musically, my night-time staple used to be Blue of the Night on Lyric, but now it's not what it was, has its good and bad nights. Verspertine on Fri-Sun with the excellent Ellen Cranitch is good, and I've recently started listening to An Taobh Tuathail early in the week, before it gets too clubby. John Creedon is also pretty good, and Liz Nolan in the afternoon plays a really interesting range of classical.

Given my interest in news coverage, Newstalk should be a natural fit, but I find most of their presenters really, really irritating. Morning Ireland and Drivetime can be good, and have improved with new presenters this year. But RTE Radio 1 from 9:00 to 16:30 leaves me stone cold apart from the News at 1:00. Weekend daytime radio is a bit of a waste land, frankly, again with the exception of the news coverage, and sport..

So, are you a radio person? Any recommendations?

Reactions: ast

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Yes .. but via Streaming :D

Using likes of TUNEIN Radio etc.

So why that for me .. I love the ability to checkout small stations, news stations in local places from across the world, something I could not do with physical radio unless one has a massive setup with aerials etc.

And being able to checkout those local news stations close to events we do hear on the 24hr MSM so as to get a local perspective

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Yes .. but via Streaming :D

Using likes of TUNEIN Radio etc.

So why that for me .. I love the ability to checkout small stations, news stations in local places from across the world, something I could not do with physical radio unless one has a massive setup with aerials etc.

And being able to checkout those local news stations close to events we do hear on the 24hr MSM so as to get a local perspective
TuneIn is cool. The Ireland Radio app is also good if you're travelling.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
TuneIn is cool. The Ireland Radio app is also good if you're travelling.
Add the PARANORMAL RADIO app, the TALKSTREAMLIVE app for more strange type UFO, paranormal talk shows. And then also CHILLOUT radio app for exactly that type of music radio 24/7

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Of course, you can also listen back to radio shows that double as podcasts. A favourite of mine is The Verb from BBB Radio 3.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
I tend to listen to stuff in the car mostly. Typically, that would be RTE 1, until Ray D'Arcy comes on. Arena I can take or leave, but John Creedon is a must.
Newstalk I avoid like the plague - though I don't mind Sean Moncrieff or Tom Dunne.
BBC 4 have decent political comedy on a Friday night, though they've had to start pushing "right-leaning" comedians, who - with the notable exception of Simon Evans - really aren't that funny. I'm Sorry I Haven't Clue during its run is an absolute must listen though. I'm a sucker for cheesy wordplay.

I've an internet radio that I sometimes scan for european channels if I'm in a particular mood. I've found some nice classic rock channels, french chanson, etc. Occasionally all things considered and tiny desk concerts from NPR.

Really just depends on my mood.

Outlander

Feb 15, 2019
Away
I'm a big radio listener, especially news and music. Musically, my night-time staple used to be Blue of the Night on Lyric, but now it's not what it was, has its good and bad nights. Verspertine on Fri-Sun with the excellent Ellen Cranitch is good, and I've recently started listening to An Taobh Tuathail early in the week, before it gets too clubby. John Creedon is also pretty good, and Liz Nolan in the afternoon plays a really interesting range of classical.

Given my interest in news coverage, Newstalk should be a natural fit, but I find most of their presenters really, really irritating. Morning Ireland and Drivetime can be good, and have improved with new presenters this year. But RTE Radio 1 from 9:00 to 16:30 leaves me stone cold apart from the News at 1:00. Weekend daytime radio is a bit of a waste land, frankly, again with the exception of the news coverage, and sport..

Consider those of us who have no interest in sport...

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Consider those of us who have no interest in sport...
To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the Roscommon/Leitrim Under 18 football game myself. The idea that you have X hours of sport every Saturday and Sunday and have to fill it come what may is simply mad.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Same here with Radio Garden along with some of the other ones already metioned like Lyric and Creedon etc......

Scala radio on the free to air box and Classic FM can be good on Saturday afternoons/evenings also ...one show i think it's on Scala ( might be Mark Kermode ) does the film scores which i like....

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
I lost interest in Radio when the Archers mutated into a chimera of Emmerdale, East Enders and Corrie . One giant socially aware bonkathon.

When I still drove I listened to R na G for background noise - I didn't understand them but the cadence of people talking was pleasant, only turning off when the piano accordion music started

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
I lost interest in Radio when the Archers mutated into a chimera of Emmerdale, East Enders and Corrie . One giant socially aware bonkathon.

When I still drove I listened to R na G for background noise - I didn't understand them but the cadence of people talking was pleasant, only turning off when the piano accordion music started
A phrase to make the heart sink.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the Roscommon/Leitrim Under 18 football game myself. The idea that you have X hours of sport every Saturday and Sunday and have to fill it come what may is simply mad.
Absolutely mad. I used to go down West on Saturdays a lot to visit my mother when she was alive. Flick on RTE on the car radio at 2 pm---sport all the way

Back up Sunday evening--still sport. And then at 7 pm, more fukking commentary on sport

The one great thing about the first lockdown in 2020 was that because there was no games being played, there were blissful hours of music on RTE 1 where the sport used to be.

ast

Dec 15, 2018
Boogieland

So, are you a radio person? Any recommendations? (my underscores)

Interesting thread title. Radio can also have a dark side that i already had mentioned briefly in another context.

My experience of Newstalk was also surprisingly short-lived and quite long ago.

But the reason for the post is the best station, and from my point of listening it is...

I had them on the 23.5°E satellite and lost reception when they switched to DVB2 on my dated card. That was a while ago so i am unaware if they have been able to keep up that quality. Not understanding Czech did prove to be a feature too.

Another good one lost from the satellite was francophone Radio Canada. Less for the music, rather for having been the polar opposite of Newstalk.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Interesting thread title. Radio can also have a dark side that i already had mentioned briefly in another context.

My experience of Newstalk was also surprisingly short-lived and quite long ago.

But the reason for the post is the best station, and from my point of listening it is...

I had them on the 23.5°E satellite and lost reception when they switched to DVB2 on my dated card. That was a while ago so i am unaware if they have been able to keep up that quality. Not understanding Czech did prove to be a feature too.

Another good one lost from the satellite was francophone Radio Canada. Less for the music, rather for having been the polar opposite of Newstalk.
In a similar vein, I used to listen to this station quite a bit, but it is obscenely dutch.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
My third second classical music station:

Top Bottom