Things that Grind my Gears

Apr 24, 2020
Reckon the HSE will be told to back off here... doing it at the height of summer rather than in winter and hoping it will go un-noticed..

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
That's a common mispronunciation in south Galway and Clare, ie the e pronounced as i, as in this case. I did notice yesterday that Morrissey pronounced Feakle as Fakel. He's correct in that.

The Limerick accent is another animal altogether. Listen to Minister of State Patrick O'Donovan for lessons in not how to speak the English language.
Some daecent examples of the Limerick accent to be found in the Peppa Pig sketches:

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Marty Morrisey

Tonight he said unquinchable when he meant unquenchable.

Kilkenny.

Funking Kilkenny.
There used to be a running prank during the troubles whereby the local journos would give the Oxbridge toff blowin journos parachuted in from that there London dodgy town pronunciations prior to them going on air.

Any one familiar with NI pubic transport will know the names Augher, Clogher and Fivemiletown. The first two are pronounced "ocker and clocker"

On the news at ten they were regularly pronounced "Awr, Clawr and Fivvmilltun"

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
There used to be a running prank during the troubles whereby the local journos would give the Oxbridge toff blowin journos parachuted in from that there London dodgy town pronunciations prior to them going on air.

Any one familiar with NI pubic transport will know the names Augher, Clogher and Fivemiletown. The first two are pronounced "ocker and clocker"

Armagh and Omagh were delightful

Watching a Documentary about Battle of the Bulge earlier - why do Americans call him AYYYdolph?

seanof

Nov 27, 2018

Not sure about the "pubic transport" but I think I'd have made a fair shot of pronouncing those placenames anyway.

bang bang

Dec 5, 2018
What is the point of having a wife and kids if you have to fetch your own beer?
I handed my wife a can of beer the other day saying I'm a bit tired would you mind opening that.
Well, I think her gears were well and truly ground!🤪

Nov 27, 2018
The deletion of the infinitive to be, as in needs gone rather than needs to be gone.
[/QUOTE
Never heard that, 'to be' honest. I have heard 'needs doing' instead of 'needs to be done' which frankly is almost as bad.
Both of those are very much "correct" English though.

Nov 27, 2018
Pivot. Apparently the word is being used as an alternative to "change".
Which it isn't. When something pivots, it doesn't move to a new place, it simply rotates on the point it is on. you can pivot all you want, but nothing changes, you'll just end up facing a different direction. You haven't gone anywhere.

Nov 27, 2018
Inflation up to 5% this month here. That really grinds my gears.

Apr 24, 2020
Inflation up to 5% this month here. That really grinds my gears.
Inflation is a lot higher than reported generally. Why, in the middle of a pandemic, is the stock market in the US rising.? It's not all Amazon and deliveries. Basically shares are inflating because the dollar is down. As are many currencies.

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
Some GAA commentators calling out distances in yards, pitches have been marked out in metres for over twenty years, this may seem trivial to some but it really pisses me off......
Those were the days.

"He's on the forty, he's on the thirty, he's on the twenty, he's on the ground..."

Top Bottom