Things that Grind my Gears

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
I was thinking of starting a thread about misuse of language, pronunciation, grammar, clichés, spelling etc.. Then I thought that might be a bit restrictive so I broadened it out to cover any everyday trivia that bug people. We all have more important things to worry about but it might be a bit of fun. The title isn’t original – there are similar threads on many forums.

So here goes with some language related ones:

People in an interview who preface most answers with “so”. These people often throw in the patronising “that’s a great question” at least once.

Guests who say “thank you for having me” or “howarya” at the start of an interview and hosts who reply.

People who pronounce two syllable words as if they had three. This is becoming widespread. “Cyclist” seems to be a challenge for many to pronounce. There’s an anti-gambling ad running on radio where the key word is pronounced as if it were something happy lambs do in a field!

Misuse of the words “amount” and “number”. “Amount of people” seems to have become the norm in Ireland. It should, of course, be “number of people”.

Something that Gay Byrne banged on about for years: the pronunciation of the letter "T" as if it were "S", e.g., in the word "it". To pronounce "T", the tongue should touch the palate.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
I was thinking of starting a thread about misuse of language, pronunciation, grammar, clichés, spelling etc.. Then I thought that might be a bit restrictive so I broadened it out to cover any everyday trivia that bug people. We all have more important things to worry about but it might be a bit of fun. The title isn’t original – there are similar threads on many forums.

So here goes with some language related ones:

People in an interview who preface most answers with “so”. These people often throw in the patronising “that’s a great question” at least once.

Guests who say “thank you for having me” or “howarya” at the start of an interview and hosts who reply.

People who pronounce two syllable words as if they had three. This is becoming widespread. “Cyclist” seems to be a challenge for many to pronounce. There’s an anti-gambling ad running on radio where the key word is pronounced as if it were something happy lambs do in a field!

Misuse of the words “amount” and “number”. “Amount of people” seems to have become the norm in Ireland. It should, of course, be “number of people”.

Something that Gay Byrne banged on about for years: the pronunciation of the letter "T" as if it were "S", e.g., in the word "it". To pronounce "T", the tongue should touch the palate.
'Should of.....' instead of 'should have'. I have seen well-paid middle managers where I work put this in emails. It is literally meaningless.

'There is' instead of 'there are' - it doesn't sound too bad when you say it, but looks awful in writing.

The ubiquitous apostrophe before every 's', even when it's just a plural noun.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
'Should of.....' instead of 'should have'. I have seen well-paid middle managers where I work put this in emails. It is literally meaningless.

'There is' instead of 'there are' - it doesn't sound too bad when you say it, but looks awful in writing.

The ubiquitous apostrophe before every 's', even when it's just a plural noun.
Yes but it depends on whether the subject is singular or plural. "The Government is" is correct.

Nov 27, 2018
People chewing food.
Make blenders mandatory. If you can‘t suck it through a straw, it’s off the menu.

It’d also stop people scraping cutlery across their plates.

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
First trimester..

Top Bottom