milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Conservatives win 12 Councils from NOC. Labour vote falling away in areas where they used to be strong.

Labour lost 4 Councils.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Interesting, if true. And it probably is true.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Between the general carry on of Patel over immigration and this Line Of Duty kind of stuff:

which she’s also up to her otters in, one wonders where this shap turn to the right will lead Britain, in terms of home affairs v civil liberties.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Between the general carry on of Patel over immigration and this Line Of Duty kind of stuff:

which she’s also up to her otters in, one wonders where this shap turn to the right will lead Britain, in terms of home affairs v civil liberties.
It seems to me that she’s untouchable and can do what she likes.

D

Deleted member 168

If the old saying that voters tend to vote the party in power out rather than vote the opposition in, it's incomprehensible to me that the Labour party do so badly in election after election. Starmer is not terribly charismatic, it's true, but surely the electorate have seen through Bojo's "charisma" by now?

I just don't get it. But then I'm not the British electorate.

D

Deleted member 168

And aren't you glad of that fact?
Well not as much as you might think, seeing as we northerners have to put up with the consequences of how the English vote. And I don't just mean over Brexit, although that too.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018

England is on a 'Thatcher on steroids' buzz at the moment so future leader of the Tory party i would of thought..... maybe even next in line when Johnson goes as she certainly has all the credentials....

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
A stunning win for the Lib Dems in Buckinghamshire, which the national polls would never have had you thinking would happen.

I suspect a combination of the Brexit mess, the handling of the pandemic and general Tory corruption is behind it.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Of course, the local Tory candidate may have been part of the problem.

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
If the old saying that voters tend to vote the party in power out rather than vote the opposition in, it's incomprehensible to me that the Labour party do so badly in election after election. Starmer is not terribly charismatic, it's true, but surely the electorate have seen through Bojo's "charisma" by now?

I just don't get it. But then I'm not the British electorate.
I think at this stage it's "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" and Labour under Starmer are to all intents and purposes understudying the conservatives. They are offering the voters no hope.

Last edited:

Cookiemonster

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
I think at this stage it's "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" and Labour under Starmer are to all intents and purposed understudying the conservatives. They are offering the voters no hope.
Labour's problem isn't Starmer, per se, it's that they don't know what it is they stand for. It was the same with Corbyn too.

They want to be all things for everyone. They want to be Liberal, but not too Liberal. They want left wing, but not too left wing. They want to be a little bit conservative, but not too conservative. They want to support Brexit, but not too much, and condemn it (or at least try and take advantage of the cluster fuck it is) but not too much. They want to appeal to Northern Voters, but also to Southern Voters, they want to appeal to the working class, but also the middle class.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
Labour's problem isn't Starmer, per se, it's that they don't know what it is they stand for. It was the same with Corbyn too.

They want to be all things for everyone. They want to be Liberal, but not too Liberal. They want left wing, but not too left wing. They want to be a little bit conservative, but not too conservative. They want to support Brexit, but not too much, and condemn it (or at least try and take advantage of the cluster fuck it is) but not too much. They want to appeal to Northern Voters, but also to Southern Voters, they want to appeal to the working class, but also the middle class.
A bit like Fianna Fail, then.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Tories ousted in Chesham and Amersham by the Lib Dems with an unofficial ad hoc voting pact.

Could this be the way forward?

Well, if you mean an electoral alliance between Labour, the LD's and the Greens (and maybe the SNP and PC in certain constituncies), then yes it's the only way forward. And it would have to mean them running just 1 candidate in many seats i.e. the strongest party in the area presumably gets the gig. Otherwise they will have the Tories in power until 2050 at the rate things are going.

Southern England is dotted with constituencies where the LD's won famous byelection victories only to lose them at the next GE, partly because you obviously can't use the same dedicated resources in a GE, and partly because the other opposition parties also took away critical anti-Tory votes. They all need to start thinking about themselves as an actual opposition attempting to gain power, and not just another party trying to gain a few seats or win the local council or whatever. The Tories are definitely vulnerable in the more Remain-friendly parts of the south in particular. As if it couldn't get worse for Lab, they actually lost a seat to the Greens, and nearly a second one, in a council byelection in Norwich, one of their strongholds.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Did you evah?

Just the general Tory sleaze.

A third Conservative politician, Liam Fox, while international trade secretary, also lobbied the Bahraini royal family to give the contract to Petrofac. Fox’s intervention came after the SFO had announced its investigation into the firm in May 2017. The Department for International Trade has previously said Fox followed the correct processes and acted with due propriety.

All the time.

Last edited:

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018

Jeezuz H Christ 😳

Top Bottom