Sports: The place for discussing all the sportsing that's going on.

• Thread starter Deleted member 36
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 59K

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
[Mod] FFS - we have asked nicely that people discuss sporting events. Politics and controversies don't belong on this thread.[/Mod]

Post 631

This thread is surely for discussing the sports events themselves, not associated issues, political or otherwise.

Can we keep it as a haven for events - if people want to discuss other issues around sports, then they should start OPs, and bearing in mind why this site was started, try to keep the OPs sensible and respectful?

Otherwise the mod team will have to start infracting people

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Thanks for the clarification. I think that rule is bonkers, though. In effect it means telling the linesman, "don't trust yourself, in case you make a mistake." Being human, everyone is liable to make a mistake. If that is the attitude then it's time to get rid of the linesmen altogether and replace them with robots (sensors along the side line as well as the goal line).
It certainly has something to do with VAR.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
England last night reminded me a bit of Mayo. The huge excitement raised by the early goal...then the slow retreat...trying to protect that lead , until boom! the other team broke through and scored....

But one thing for sure---Mayo fans would not have made a disgrace of themselves like some of those English fans last night
The English should have stopped the bus for that funeral.

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
England last night reminded me a bit of Mayo. The huge excitement raised by the early goal...then the slow retreat...trying to protect that lead , until boom! the other team broke through and scored....

But one thing for sure---Mayo fans would not have made a disgrace of themselves like some of those English fans last night
I never remember Mayo trying to protect a lead. They're one of the more attacking football teams out there.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
I never remember Mayo trying to protect a lead. They're one of the more attacking football teams out there.
I remember one match against Dublin, I think. They scored some points in the opening minutes of the game. Oh, the excitement.....Then it was like air going out of a balloon...

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Agreed, and failure to protect a lead was often Mayo's downfall. Kerry and Dublin are masters of that art and fair play to them. Tiocfaidh lá Mhaigh Eó ach cé'n uair?

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
I remember one match against Dublin, I think. They scored some points in the opening minutes of the game. Oh, the excitement.....Then it was like air going out of a balloon...
Dublin are so powerful at times that they will overwhelm any team. And you can't attack if you haven't got the ball.

snorlax

Dec 11, 2019
Sport in general may be about enjoyment, but soccer those days is a multi-billion euro business. In business you have to be careful.
Art is a multi million euro business, but if you just make art to make money, you will make crap unsatisfying art with a limited shelf life. Playing not to lose all the ime (like England) belittles the sport.

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
Art is a multi million euro business, but if you just make art to make money, you will make crap unsatisfying art with a limited shelf life. Playing not to lose all the ime (like England) belittles the sport.
Art which fetches high prices is either that of old masters or celebrity paintings. The latter would not be of high quality. Other paintings and drawings, mostly commercial, are certainly produced for pay and are anything but crap. They are highly professional.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Anyone who's ever played any form of competitive sport knows at the thin end of the wedge that the difference between winning and losing to the uninitiated may appear massive, but of in fact minute.

A split second decision here, a slight slip there and the whole timbre of a match changes.

I'm reminded of Roy Keane describing that semi final against Juventus, and despite being two goals down early on, knowing United would win, because Ferguson had taught them about a the rhythm and heartbeat of a game.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019

I'm vague on the details but I can certainly remember a shocking level of delays caused by drunken fighting and thuggery of GAA fans coming home from the Finals in Dublin on the Galway train back to the West in the 70s. I'm pretty sure that there was a thuggery problem attached to GAA Finals back then.

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
I'm vague on the details but I can certainly remember a shocking level of delays caused by drunken fighting and thuggery of GAA fans coming home from the Finals in Dublin on the Galway train back to the West in the 70s. I'm pretty sure that there was a thuggery problem attached to GAA Finals back then.
The only sort of rival fans fighting each that I can remember was mainly between Dublin and Cork in football in either the 70s or 80s. It didn't amount to much because the Gardai dealt with it capably. It only lasted about two years. I also remember Cork fans throwing plastic bottles on to the pitch at a Munster Hurling game between Cork and Tipperary in Thurles around the same period. A couple of years ago, coming out of a Cork/Limerick hurling match in Pairc ui Chaoimh, I saw three or four Limerick supporters fighting with each other. Down the decades there have been violent behaviour by some supporters who felt their team was hard done by, but I've seen nothing like that in the last thirty years at least.

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
The only sort of rival fans fighting each that I can remember was mainly between Dublin and Cork in football in either the 70s or 80s. It didn't amount to much because the Gardai dealt with it capably. It only lasted about two years. I also remember Cork fans throwing plastic bottles on to the pitch at a Munster Hurling game between Cork and Tipperary in Thurles around the same period. A couple of years ago, coming out of a Cork/Limerick hurling match in Pairc ui Chaoimh, I saw three or four Limerick supporters fighting with each other. Down the decades there have been violent behaviour by some supporters who felt their team was hard done by, but I've seen nothing like that in the last thirty years at least.
But having said all that, it was aright to do, that lasted two years.
We have had the odd scuffle up here but 2 minutes seems to be the height of them.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
I think that would be the exception

What always surprised me about GAA games was that despite the rough play on the field, and the passionate inter-county rivalry, you very rarely saw violence or thuggishness among the fans.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
I think that would be the exception

What always surprised me about GAA games was that despite the rough play on the field, and the passionate inter-county rivalry, you very rarely saw violence or thuggishness among the fans.
My recollection is a bit vague, but I can remember the victorious or not Galway team would travel as far as Athlone or Ballinasloe by train and there would be a bus journey to Galway with a big crowd gathered for speeches and such in each town until finally the Team arrived in Galway City for more of the same.

Anyhoo, the Bus would be delayed by many hours because of drunken Yahoos pulling the stop cord on the train part of the journey. The following day the fighting and drunkenness on the Train would be a national disgrace covered on the next day's news.

That's my memory anyway, it may have been in the 80s but the rest of my recollection is basically correct. I assume that much of the fighting was purely drunks fans fighting because they were tanked up. The fights could have been with both their own fellow fans and anyone who was bold enough or unlucky enough to end up clashing with them.

Last edited:

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Ireland in with a good shout of beating South Africa in the ODI as we speak.

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Hydrogen-powered cars could be the future of Formula 1, according to F1 managing director for motorsports Ross Brawn.

He says sustainability is now a central objective for the sport, which has committed to become carbon neutral by 2030.

The engineer behind Michael Schumacher's seven world titles ruled out a switch to fully electric vehicles.

"Maybe hydrogen is the route that Formula 1 can have where we keep the noise, we keep the emotion but we move into a different solution," Brawn told the BBC.

Rising F1 star Lando Norris is also sceptical about introducing fully electric cars to Formula 1. You just don't get the same buzz from electric cars, he says.

Don't see how it can ever be carbon neutral . Future looks grim for motor sports

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Great night in Landsdowne Rd. last night. Great atmosphere and a big win for Bohs. Remember the name Dawson Devoy. The lad is only eighteen and is one of the best prospects I’ve seen in a long time.
My daughter bought me the tickets. We were almost up on the roof. I’m terrified of heights!

Top Bottom