Social Media thread .. ( News about social media platforms )

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Ye see apple and google dumped the parler app from there app stores.

However it has sort of gone underground because the apk ( android install app ) is still available elsewhere outside of app stores

But it looks like that wont matter because by tomorrow the service hosting will be gone too

For those here wondering whats parler? The bbc article goes into that too OR

Last edited:

che schifo

Dec 6, 2018

Cookiemonster

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Parler - a thread.

Seems Parler has been very easily hacked, and because a state issued ID is required to register, many people are having to explain many things to their employers, families and - with a bit of luck - law enforcement.
Absolutely brilliant!

Outlander

Feb 15, 2019
Away
Map of video uploads from the metadata scraped from Parler. Somehow you can use the video IDs to get the actual video. I presume this will be easier when the data is properly indexed..

Any tekkie here able to get the uploads from Ireland? Someone is already posting Google Maps images on twitter of the locations of the videos

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Map of video uploads from the metadata scraped from Parler. Somehow you can use the video IDs to get the actual video. I presume this will be easier when the data is properly indexed..

Any tekkie here able to get the uploads from Ireland? Someone is already posting Google Maps images on twitter of the locations of the videos

It seems like the deer in the Phoenix park are fond of it

Nov 27, 2018

Interesting for context; 1999, David Bowie talking with Paxman about the internet (amongst other things). Pre-smartphone and pre-social media.

Bowie's a bit overoptimistic, but is spot on about how majorly the Internet will change life, Paxman's really not buying it, thinking that 1999-era internet was really all the internet was going to be.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018

Interesting for context; 1999, David Bowie talking with Paxman about the internet (amongst other things). Pre-smartphone and pre-social media.

Bowie's a bit overoptimistic, but is spot on about how majorly the Internet will change life, Paxman's really not buying it, thinking that 1999-era internet was really all the internet was going to be.
Yes I know the interview, we were all a bit over optimistic in the early days but Bowie was seriously well tuned in.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
For once I think she's wrong.
No, I think she is right, Trump could have been suspended for a week and seeing his tweets with tagged as unproven was good. It may seem a good thing to do right now and to Trump, but this has far reaching effects.

What if it was Biden they decided to ban? (I know he is not on it but just as an example)

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
No, I think she is right, Trump could have been suspended for a week and seeing his tweets with tagged as unproven was good. It may seem a good thing to do right now and to Trump, but this has far reaching effects.

What if it was Biden they decided to ban? (I know he is not on it but just as an example)
If Biden was inciting insurrection, then I'd have no problem with him being banned.

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside

love Bowie.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
If Biden was inciting insurrection, then I'd have no problem with him being banned.
Of course, but you can see how the reasons for banning can change over time. I absolutely detest Trump and everything about him but I feel banning him is a slippery slope we are on now. Tagging his tweets as unproven was effective, just as the same scrutiny is being given to Covid information. It highlights the false news, banning merely hides it.

Vega1447

Feb 17, 2019
Of course, but you can see how the reasons for banning can change over time. I absolutely detest Trump and everything about him but I feel banning him is a slippery slope we are on now. Tagging his tweets as unproven was effective, just as the same scrutiny is being given to Covid information. It highlights the false news, banning merely hides it.
IPO mods/owners can ban me from here. The only difference between that and Twitter/FB banning Trump is one of scale.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
IPO mods/owners can ban me from here. The only difference between that and Twitter/FB banning Trump is one of scale.
Yes of course but the scale is important. You or I getting banned from here is going to matter to nobody but a very large corporate like Facebook or Twitter with the power to make or break a presidency is a bit scary.

Vega1447

Feb 17, 2019
Yes of course but the scale is important. You or I getting banned from here is going to matter to nobody but a very large corporate like Facebook or Twitter with the power to make or break a presidency is a bit scary.
What's the remedy? Twitter/FB are private companies.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Tagging his tweets as unproven was effective, just as the same scrutiny is being given to Covid information. It highlights the false news, banning merely hides it.
I'm not sure that it was effective to his true believers, who've bought into the MSM "Fake News" bullcrap. In many ways the flagging of his tweets validates the idea. Of course a lot of this is too little too late.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
What's the remedy? Twitter/FB are private companies.
I don’t know the remedy Vega, private companies should be allowed to do what they like, I just think banning is counterproductive, flagging posts I feel is way better.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
I'm not sure that it was effective to his true believers, who've bought into the MSM "Fake News" bullcrap. In many ways the flagging of his tweets validates the idea. Of course a lot of this is too little too late.
Agreed about too little too late but this is all new to all of us, surely seeing a post flagged as unproven again and again has some effect? Certainly does not encourage them to repost as it has already been fact checked...Pavlovs dog?

Top Bottom