Snap election - DUP vulnerable in three seats according to Belfast Telegraph

Napper

Dec 4, 2018
Why would it have the 'blue bots' rattled..?.......it had an EU flag beside the FG polling figures which would the position of a lot of voters who are pro EU.....

It was as brain dead as the response by a person recently who was lecturing people in this state via Twitter and calling them Free Staters who was born post 1998....
Isn’t that the irony of the whole lot of it
the FFailures and the La3%ur should be annoyed but the blueshirts cannot resist an opportunity to put the boot in

FGailers won’t be voting for the shinners and vice visa

it’s a phoney bitch fest

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Isn’t that the irony of the whole lot of it
the FFailures and the La3%ur should be annoyed but the blueshirts cannot resist an opportunity to put the boot in

FGailers won’t be voting for the shinners and vice visa

it’s a phoney bitch fest
But might lose votes from disgruntled FF and Labour voters by labelling them west Brits or supporters the current Israeli regime .........not very bright if your party is neck and neck with the opposition and you need to pick up any spare votes......

Prof Honeydew

Nov 28, 2018
Tell us about the la3%ur party’s youth wing
upto and including 30 yrs of age, and still they themselves issued a statement denouncing the party for voting wi the government after they had made their position clear

la3%ur the party of James Connolly is in disarray
they are “acting with decorum” because they are not doing anything
Labour's youth wing was always confined to the extended families of the sitting TDs. E.g. Springs in Kerry North, Sherlocks in Cork East, Penroses in Longford-Westmeath, Pattisons in Carlow-Kilkenny etc. In some cases, there was a transition at some point as like in the Corishes to the Howlins in Wexford and, in some other cases, there were two or more feuding families of current and former TDs like the Kemmys and the Leddins in Limerick or the Kavanaghs and the Lady Wicklow McManuses in Wicklow.

More than most other parties, Labour used to tie itself up in knots publicly over how their TDs were selling out on their principles, particluarly when they were mudguards to Fine Gael-led Governments. But it never mattered a damn what these shrill infiltrators thought because the Annual Conference, the prime venue for Labour wrestling with its conscience, was always controlled by whichever of the dynastic families managed to dragoon the most relatives and retainers to the hall. For years, the Corishes reigned supreme, followed in turn by the Springs and the Penroses until it no longer mattered because the membership had dwindled to the point where they got lost in a phonebox.

In general, you could say Labour never gave a flying fuck about extending its membership throughout its entire history. Any periods of growth, like in 1992 and 2011, happened in spite of the party's wishes when the electorate got pissed off of both Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael at the same time and was followed by the mass slaughter of their Dáil representation at the next election.

Funnily enough, there's another party around at the moment where high-faluting principles come in contact with the bitchy reality of family entitlement. Just look at how Labour's cycles of boom and bust are being replicated by the Greens.

Last edited:

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry

This article pretty much reinforces the opinions offered by quite a few posters here, in that working class loyalist youth are marginalised within their own communities. It also confirms the belief that transfer tests are destroying the prospects of many adolescents across all communities. It is obvious that much can be done, much needs to be done, to improve society through education.

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry

This article pretty much reinforces the opinions offered by quite a few posters here, in that working class loyalist youth are marginalised within their own communities. It also confirms the belief that transfer tests are destroying the prospects of many adolescents across all communities. It is obvious that much can be done, much needs to be done, to improve society through education.
Just looked there and had the DUP and SDLP , once again, not prevented this being addressed in 2003, this society could have had 17 years of progress in drawing working class youth into main stream education .

Martin mc Guinness had started the ball rolling on this in 2003, however like much else it had to be sacrificed at St Andrews to placate the DUP.

Last edited:

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Just looked there and had the DUP and SDLP , once again, not prevented this being addressed in 2003, this society could have had 17 years of progress in drawing working class youth into main stream education .

Martin mc Guinness had started the ball rolling on this in 2003, however like much else it had to be sacrificed at St Andrews to placate the DUP.
Political ideologies like the one the DUP is based on fall asunder when people are educated to a point where they can start to think for themselves .....IMO the hold of the church collapsed in no small part after secondary level education was made free and people were able to get out of dead end jobs and see through the superstition.... ...

I pointed out on another thread a programme that was on the BBC over the last week ( it was repeated on BBC-2 last night ) called Subnormal where the children of immigrants from the West Indies were targeted and put into special schools by flawed aptitude tests and racism within the system ...the type of English they spoke was also attacked and made to be backward and inferior much like people speaking Irish were in previous times in this country when still under British rule ....

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
The EU don't quite seem to be taking Poots seriously:

The EU’s ambassador to the UK has accused new DUP leader Edwin Poots of making comments about the post-Brexit Northern Ireland Protocol that lack “adherence to reality”.

Joao Vale de Almeida was asked about Poots saying that the agreement was “demonstrable harm to every individual in Northern Ireland” and is having a “devastating impact”.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
The EU don't quite seem to be taking Poots seriously:

The EU’s ambassador to the UK has accused new DUP leader Edwin Poots of making comments about the post-Brexit Northern Ireland Protocol that lack “adherence to reality”.

I love diplospeak.

Can't really be reading in the Times that 'His Excellency, Ambassador Smythe referred to the principals of the Rwandan Conflict as "a bunch of fucking wingnuts, sure there's wiser chewing grass..."'

Prof Honeydew

Nov 28, 2018
Gaudemus! Hallelujh!

Let the Province rejoice at the most gracious bequest of Her Royal Majesty to the humble but dearly loyal folk of a wee Ulster village that may now affect themselves with the prefix "royal" in their interactions with Her Gracious Majesty's other subjects.

Great too shall be the rapture on the Road of Shankill and on the Estates of Larne in the knowledge that demonstration of undying loyalty to Britishness has been rewarded with this wondrous title and that the demonstrative folk of such parts of Her Majesty's United Kingdom may too aspire to the dream of gaining a foothold on the bottom-most rung on the property ladder of Ulster's most fabled location.

Shall not Her Majesty's Government now commence the construction of a Royal Canal whereby the new Royal Yacht may steam unimpeded by traitor, scoundrel or begrudger to carry Her Majesty's Most Obedient Servants of High Office to the gates of Her Majesty's Royal Residence in Ulster?

Aaah, Rule Britannia over the White Cliffs of Dover, over the green grassy slopes of the Boyne, over Londonderry's steadfast walls, over the field of Finaghy, over the terraces at Windsor Park, over the Martyrs Memorial Church, over the stalwart Orange Hall of Cullybackey.....

Last edited:

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
What if they threw a very restrained tray-bake party and nobody came?

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
They really don't get any better.

Normally with a tweet like that you'd assume a clunky attempt at irony, but it's the Shinners we're talking about. It truly has to be one of the most braindead sentences I have ever seen written, anywhere (albeit in keeping with a certain Irish brand of populism).

Of course, thankfully Ogra SF has nothing whatever to do that sensible progressive party SF which will lead our next govt. Mind you, with policies like this, a 1977 FF-style landslide might be on the cards!

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Normally with a tweet like that you'd assume a clunky attempt at irony, but it's the Shinners we're talking about. It truly has to be one of the most braindead sentences I have ever seen written, anywhere (albeit in keeping with a certain Irish brand of populism).

Of course, thankfully Ogra SF has nothing whatever to do that sensible progressive party SF which will lead our next govt. Mind you, with policies like this, a 1977 FF-style landslide might be on the cards!
Someone I'll be along shortly to explain it to us.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
On this flat earth of ours I hope Poots doesnt get into any difficulty having to come down hill to Dublin. The tilt might just be too much

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018

You can always depend on Micheál to question whether he can be trusted to stand up for Irish interests.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018

You can always depend on Micheál to question whether he can be trusted to stand up for Irish interests.
I have zero confidence in Martin in that regard. In fact, there's no evidence that he has a strongly held opinion on any matter other than his hatred of SF.

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
I have zero confidence in Martin in that regard. In fact, there's no evidence that he has a strongly held opinion on any matter other than his hatred of SF.
I read somewhere that Colm Eastwood want SF to nominate a Deputy First minister even if Poots refuse to honour his agreement on the ILA.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
I read somewhere that Colm Eastwood want SF to nominate a Deputy First minister even if Poots refuse to honour his agreement on the ILA.
I find it convoluted and hard to follow but I thought it was almost certain that O'Neill would be next First Minister.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
I find it convoluted and hard to follow but I thought it was almost certain that O'Neill would be next First Minister.
Only if SF become the largest party in the executive. That's wholly dependent on the number of defections from the DUP. If any at all.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Incidentally, I'm watching the second episode of The Road to Partition on BBC2. Episode one wasn't great but I think this one's worth watching.

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
This is regarding the continuation of the executive up to the election next year.
If SF refuse to nominate a deputy there is no executive and an election must happen.
Colm Eastwood is advocating that even if the DUP refuse to honour their commitment , SF should shrug their shoulders and say "oh well that's OK then". And this on top of a party that is polling 16% passing themselves off on The BBC as the representatives of all of the 6 counties.

mac tíre

Nov 28, 2018
Contae An Dúin
This is regarding the continuation of the executive up to the election next year.
If SF refuse to nominate a deputy there is no executive and an election must happen.
Colm Eastwood is advocating that even if the DUP refuse to honour their commitment , SF should shrug their shoulders and say "oh well that's OK then". And this on top of a party that is polling 16% passing themselves off on The BBC as the representatives of all of the 6 counties.
Eastwood is saying this to make him look centralist. If SF did so he would be the first to criticise them for doing exactly that, being soft on the DUP etc, etc.

He does this a lot - criticising the Executive (and he's correct at times), forgetting that his party is in the Executive. It's great when he does it standing beside Nicola Mallon - a minister in said Executive.

And that is one of the reasons why his party makes no progress in any poll. He thinks we're all eejits altogether.

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
Eastwood is saying this to make him look centralist. If SF did so he would be the first to criticise them for doing exactly that, being soft on the DUP etc, etc.

He does this a lot - criticising the Executive (and he's correct at times), forgetting that his party is in the Executive. It's great when he does it standing beside Nicola Mallon - a minister in said Executive.

And that is one of the reasons why his party makes no progress in any poll. He thinks we're all eejits altogether.
In this instance he is actually telling poots to renege and it will be SFs fault if the executive fails again.
And if that happens I hope the electorate don't fall for his gaslighting, and punishes him big time.

mac tíre

Nov 28, 2018
Contae An Dúin
Was it on a text , or maybe even here as you write ?
It was said (repeated?) by Eastwood on a politics show last night - The View. His squirming was a sight to behold because he wants his cake and to eat it too. The type of thing he done the last time Stormont fell - walked out, taunted SF and then criticised them when they brought it down.

It didn't particularly work then for the SDLP and it wont work now. I would be willing to bet on it.

Top Bottom