RIP thread...

Apr 24, 2020
Sorry to see him go ... looks line we won't have another quote to equal ...

"As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know"

Donald Rumsfeld dies at 88. The former defense secretary oversaw Iraq, Afghanistan wars (yahoo.com)
To be fair, that is a "saw" of big data. Those that ridiculed it, lacked the nuance and pertinance of the quote.

This in no way exonerated the man.

Nov 29, 2018

Some of who are as old as I am and were involved in left wing politics in the late 60s, 70s may remember Rayner. He shared a flat with Peter Graham, the flat where Peter was later murdered.

A lovely, gentle man and an intellectual, with an air of eccentricity who stood apart from the rest of what constituted the multiple factions of the left back in those days.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Poet and editor, most famously of the seminal Children of Albion anthology, Michael Horovitz has died. An amazing figure whose International Poetry Incarnation at the Royal Albert Hall, London, on 11 June 1965 remains the stuff of legends.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Poet and editor, most famously of the seminal Children of Albion anthology, Michael Horovitz has died. An amazing figure whose International Poetry Incarnation at the Royal Albert Hall, London, on 11 June 1965 remains the stuff of legends.

I did not think he was still alive, to be honest

The next year, 1966, to commemorate the Internation Poetry Incarnation , another beat poetry festival was held in the Albert Hall, and amazingly, Patrick Kavanagh read at it

He had met Horovitz.

Kavanagh was becoming very interested in Beat poetry, and its rhythms and musicality, and had he lived, that would have bern the direction his poetry would have taken.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
I did not think he was still alive, to be honest

The next year, 1966, to commemorate the Internation Poetry Incarnation , another beat poetry festival was held in the Albert Hall, and amazingly, Patrick Kavanagh read at it

He had met Horovitz.

Kavanagh was becoming very interested in Beat poetry, and its rhythms and musicality, and had he lived, that would have bern the direction his poetry would have taken.
His sometime wife Frances was a better poet, and their son Adam is pretty good, too.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Apr 24, 2020

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Nov 29, 2018
Always thought he was one of the more decent and honourable lot.

Made a big impact, even if the PD's eventually merged with FG.
I seem to remember, too lazy to Google at the moment, that when Donogh O'Malley died suddenly that his widow either stood or wanted to stand and that Des, the nephew, stood against her, or got the nomination, can't remember which. This led to a lot of bad feeling in the local FF ranks.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Following his death, his widow, Dr. Hilda O'Malley, did not run in the subsequent by-election for the seat he had left vacant. It was won narrowly by their nephew Desmond O'Malley. Hilda sought the Fianna Fáil nomination for the 1969 general election, but Fianna Fáil gave the party nomination to Desmond, as the sitting TD. Hilda O'Malley ran as an Independent candidate in that election; after what proved a bitter campaign against her nephew, she failed to get the fourth seat in Limerick East by just 200 votes.[22]

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Always thought he was one of the more decent and honourable lot.

Made a big impact, even if the PD's eventually merged with FG.
I abhorred a lot of what the PDs stood for, but Des O'Malley seemed to me, based on the stands he took on various issues, to be a politician of probity and integrity in an era when such traits were in short supply---were indeed mocked--in the mainstream politics of the day.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Dr Hilda O'Malley, his widow was interesting - apparently the inspiration for Patrick Kavanagh's Raglan Road.

Hilda was the wife of Donagh O'Malley--an uncle of Des and on whose death Des stood for election

Hilda Moriarity was pursued by Kavanagh, and he did indeed write Raglan Road for her. The word is, she loved him. But her family would not hear of her marrying a penniless, ragged poet, so she was steered in the direction of Donagh O'Malley

The marriage was not a happy one, mainly due to Oonagh O'Malley's drinking and womanising

But yeah, Des was his nephew

Nov 29, 2018
Hilda was the wife of Donagh O'Malley--an uncle of Des and on whose death Des stood for election

Hilda Moriarity was pursued by Kavanagh, and he did indeed write Raglan Road for her. The word is, she loved him. But her family would not hear of her marrying a penniless, ragged poet, so she was steered in the direction of Donagh O'Malley

The marriage was not a happy one, mainly due to Oonagh O'Malley's drinking and womanising

Donogh had a reputation as a ladies man, his favoured stomping grounds were the bars of the Russell and the Shelbourne, but he was no stranger to the more bohemian watering holes of Dublin.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
Reading The Journal piece about him I was impressed with his impassioned pro contraception piece, then all I could do was chuckle to myself when I saw that

"His vote in favour of liberalised contraception had represented somewhat of a pragmatic or nimble change of viewpoint however, as a decade previously he had opposed similar laws on the grounds that it was the responsibility of legislators to “deter fornication and promiscuity”."

A lesson for anyone taking politicians credentials too seriously....

snorlax

Dec 11, 2019
I abhorred a lot of what the PDs stood for, but Des O'Malley seemed to me, based on the stands he took on various issues, to be a politician of probity and integrity in an era when such traits were in short supply---were indeed mocked--in the mainstream politics of the day.
Whaaa...? He was kicked out of FF for voting against the party, set up a party to create an alternative and then two years later he joined FF in government! His biggest claim to 'integrity' seems to be that he wasn't Haughey.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
He loathed Haughey so much he went into gov with him despite knowing exactly what he was.

snorlax

Dec 11, 2019
Noonan going on about integrity just now on the news. Puke inducing.
Bertie Ahern on Drivetime made an interesting point. He said that all the governments that he was involved in basically implemented policies that O'Malley supported: basically large scale privatisation and cutting public services and taxes. In other words Thatcherism. So there you have it. That's what the governments got up to during the 1990s.

Last edited:

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Also Liz O'Donnell and Mary Harney waffling on about the PDs opening the market blah blah blah. Both of whom have drained MASSIVE amounts of money from the state as a reward for slashing public spending. O'Malley was also the same.
O Donnell is chairperson of the RSA. A role I’m sure she’s fully qualified for.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Bertie Ahern on Drivetime made an interesting point. He said that all the governments that he was involved in basically implemented policies that O'Malley supported: basically large scale privatisation and cutting public services and taxes. In other words Thatcherism. So there you have it. That's what the governments and other got up to during the 1990s.
I agree entirely. O'Malley was an extreme right-winger on economic matters. He was hardly what they used to call "sound on the national question" either. I loathed his, Harney's and the PD's politics. Ed Walsh of UL, another privateer was on earlier, practically in tears. He'd sicken you!

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
I agree entirely. O'Malley was an extreme right-winger on economic matters. He was hardly what they used to call "sound on the national question" either. I loathed his, Harney's and the PD's politics. Ed Walsh of UL, another privateer was on earlier, practically in tears. He'd sicken you!
Ed Walsh is a lovely man. One of my heroes. He’d love to see children back up chimneys.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Ed Walsh is a lovely man. One of my heroes. He’d love to see children back up chimneys.
Ed Walsh would always have been one of my nominations for "People who grind my gears". HIs tone of voice conveys the contempt he holds for the "little people", ie most of us, even if you don't listen to his words.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
Bertie Ahern on Drivetime made an interesting point. He said that all the governments that he was involved in basically implemented policies that O'Malley supported: basically large scale privatisation and cutting public services and taxes. In other words Thatcherism. So there you have it. That's what the governments got up to during the 1990s.
An Irish Tory, a FF Right Winger, a Charlie McCreevy, a self-agrandising arse.

This is fun, has Professor Honeydew been by yet 😃

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018

Apparently Donagh was previously engaged to Richard Harris's sister Audrey who 'died tragically' apparently, so the connection with Harris was quite strong on both sides. He campaigned for her when she ran for the Dail and sang a song from Camelot (apparently) at one of her rallies. The British singer Dido is also a relation - I think her grandmother was Donagh's sister. Des's brother Daragh is quite a famous actor - I was aware of him but not that he was from the same family.

Actually, the extended family seem a good deal more interesting that Des himself.

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
I see one of the deceased in the German floods was a young voluntary fire fighter, very sad

221235276_4259780784082991_8711517932075276092_n.md.jpg

The Rhineland-Palatinate Youth Fire Brigade mourns the loss of a firefighter who will not return from a mission during the severe weather disaster in the Ahr Valley. She died while on a mission to help others. K. will leave a big gap in the youth fire brigade and fire brigade. We extend our deepest sympathy to the family members and surviving relatives.
Dieter Ferres, Deputy State Youth Fire Chief Jörg Michel, Deputy State Youth Fire Chief
Dirk Schorn, District Youth Fire Brigade Officer Ahrweiler District

Top Bottom