RIP thread...

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
Apparently there is a housing estate on the northside named after the lunar landings. Armstrong and Aldrin are OK, but Michael Collins was a bridge too far..

RIP though. Those guys were all incredible. All still are. Soon there will be no living astronauts who were part of the Apollo program....

And hence, no humans who have walked on another body.
Ah, I think there will be people soon enough who will have walked on Mars and then after that, who knows?

Nov 29, 2018
Well, Holy God...

A superb actor, the range and variety of roles he mastered was impressive. Although best known as Benjy in the Riordan's, his performances in the Project were memorable.

I had not been aware that he was a founder of the Focus with Deirdre O'Connell and Sabina Coyne (Higgins).

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

danger here

Feb 17, 2019

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
Last edited:

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
I stand to be corrected here , but Seamus Deane was in some company in that year level at St Colms college.
Seamus Deane, Seamus Heaney, Phil Coulter and Tom Scullion.
Phil Coulter may have been a year later.
Class…

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
Haigh…

Norman Bates

You thought I was nice...
Dec 10, 2018
DublinBayS

Mitsui2

Nov 30, 2018
Between Time and Timbuktu
Last night, Grammy-winning singer B.J. Thomas—best known for performing “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” and the original version of “Hooked On A Feeling”—died from complications related to lung cancer. Thomas was 78.

download.jpg

One of those tunes, that everyone seemed to be able to sing [especially when the pubs were closing ...].

R.I.P. singer B.J. Thomas (avclub.com)

Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head - BJ Thomas (Lyrics Video) [HQ Audio] - YouTube

B. J. Thomas - Wikipedia
When I went to see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in the cinema as a kid I mistook the bicyling/Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head bit for the end credits and left the cinema.

It was only after I went outside, baffled (not least because everyone else stayed inside), that I realised I'd probably made a mistake. And the buggers wouldn't let me go back in.

This being obviously long before video/dvd, it was bloody years before I saw the rest of the movie, when it finally showed up on television.

In some ways I feel this traumatic event set the pattern for much of my subsequent life (such as it was).

Norman Bates

Dec 10, 2018
DublinBayS
When I went to see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in the cinema as a kid I mistook the bicyling/Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head bit for the end credits and left the cinema.

It was only after I went outside, baffled (not least because everyone else stayed inside), that I realised I'd probably made a mistake. And the buggers wouldn't let me go back in.

This being obviously long before video/dvd, it was bloody years before I saw the rest of the movie, when it finally showed up on television.

In some ways I feel this traumatic event set the pattern for much of my subsequent life (such as it was).
Poor Mits, you must have been in bits. Raindrops in only about 30 minutes into the film ... you hadn't even time to eat your ice cream ...🤣🤣

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019

Mitsui2

Nov 30, 2018
Between Time and Timbuktu
RIP Ned

Also great as Bolander in the long-running Homicide: Life On The Street, David Simon's marvellous precursor to The WIre.

Norman Bates

Dec 10, 2018
DublinBayS
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020
US tycoon McAfee found dead in Spanish prison

Antivirus software tycoon John McAfee died by an apparent suicide in a Spanish jail cell Wednesday evening — hours after reports surfaced that he would be extradited to face federal charges in the U.S., according to local media.

US tycoon McAfee found dead in Spanish prison - BBC News

Security-software entrepreneur McAfee reportedly found dead in Barcelona jail cell - MarketWatch

Jesus. There will be some book/movie made about him in years to come...

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Mamo McDonald has died aged 91

She was a lifelong campaigner for women's rights, a former president of the Irish Countrywomen's Association, and co-founder of Age And Opportunity, as well as The Older Women's Network

She was an articulate spokeswoman on women's right to good healthcare, social and financial independence, and equality in the workplace

She started out running a drapery shop in Clones with her husband, and gave birth to 11 children

Over the years, she said, "I became more radical. Life experiences had taught me that women in Ireland were more under the patriarchal thumb, and the laws were against us"

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member

She was a lifelong campaigner for women's rights, a former president of the Irish Countrywomen's Association, and co-founder of Age And Opportunity, as well as The Older Women's Network

She was an articulate spokeswoman on women's right to good healthcare, social and financial independence, and equality in the workplace

She started out running a drapery shop in Clones with her husband, and gave birth to 11 children

Over the years, she said, "I became more radical. Life experiences had taught me that women in Ireland were more under the patriarchal thumb, and the laws were against us"
One of her sons was my football manager about thirteen years ago.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018

She was a great woman. My late Mother had enormous respect for her.

Norman Bates

Dec 10, 2018
DublinBayS

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Sorry to see him go ... looks line we won't have another quote to equal ...

"As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know"

Donald Rumsfeld dies at 88. The former defense secretary oversaw Iraq, Afghanistan wars (yahoo.com)
A lot of people will be very happy to see him go. His little quips didn’t make up for the million plus who died because of him.

Top Bottom