RIP thread...

Cookiemonster

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Bernie Madoff RIP (off)

Natural causes in prison.

He had requested compassionate release the year before last, owing to the fact he was dying and it was denied citing the severity of his crimes. I don't agree with that decision. Yes, it was a massive fraud, but he'd shown remorse and also saw tragedy in the death on both his done, one as a direct result of his crimes.

Nov 29, 2018
He had requested compassionate release the year before last, owing to the fact he was dying and it was denied citing the severity of his crimes. I don't agree with that decision. Yes, it was a massive fraud, but he'd shown remorse and also saw tragedy in the death on both his done, one as a direct result of his crimes.
Those that he fleeced would probably disagree with you. Very easy to be magnanimous when his actions had no impact on you.

jmcc

Nov 27, 2018
Those that he fleeced would probably disagree with you. Very easy to be magnanimous when his actions had no impact on you.
There is even an Irish angle:
"The Central Bank of Ireland failed to spot Madoff's gigantic fraud when he started using Irish funds and had to supply large amounts of information, which would have been enough to enable Irish regulators to uncover the fraud much earlier than late 2008 when he was finally arrested in New York.[79][80][81] "

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Difficult to trust these claims of incurable diseases and not long to Live - Ernest Saunders is still going strong after his miraculous recovery. Mind you if Madoff had only done something less serious like murder his wife and kids he probably would have been allowed out of prison.

Nov 29, 2018
Difficult to trust these claims of incurable diseases and not long to Live - Ernest Saunders is still going strong after his miraculous recovery. Mind you if Madoff had only done something less serious like murder his wife and kids he probably would have been allowed out of prison.
A bit like the way some "find god" just before their parole hearings.

Nov 29, 2018

Cookiemonster

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
There is even an Irish angle:
"The Central Bank of Ireland failed to spot Madoff's gigantic fraud when he started using Irish funds and had to supply large amounts of information, which would have been enough to enable Irish regulators to uncover the fraud much earlier than late 2008 when he was finally arrested in New York.[79][80][81] "
I was chatting to a friend of mine who worked on Wall Street during the 80s/90s, his opinion was that a long list of financial crimes and frauds could be avoided if regulators acted like private companies rather than government departments. They simply don't attract the smartest people because they don't pay enough and work on the principle that if you are caught the penalties will be big and the force of the state will be behind your prosecution. He said there are so many opportunities to make a quick buck the wrong way. Do it every so often and nobody will ever know, but if you get greedy you'll likely be caught.

That said Madoff was on a different level, I suspect a lot of people knew what he was doing was too good to be true so turned a blind eye to it and anyone looking on took it on faith that what he was doing was legit for that reason.

Apr 24, 2020
And greedy but also in some cases desperate

As well as his own family he destroyed a lot of other families .
Once you are in it, everyone you know becomes a "mark". We were attempted to be recruited into this because, relative to the rest of the circle, we were the most cash rich. We had a "wtf" chat on the way back home and staged an intervention....

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member

Jim Steinman wrote some of the modern music era's classic and enduring songs:

Bat out of hell
Total eclipse of the heart
No matter what
It's all coming back to me

In theatre, he also wrote the score for Whistle Down the Wind.

The king of the power ballad is dead.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018

Bat out of hell
No matter what

Oh dear, have we another decade of listening to Bat and Two out of Three Ain't Bad to look forward to? You couldn't get away from them for years when I was young.

Nov 27, 2018

Bat out of hell
No matter what

He also produced "This Corrosion" for The Sisters of Mercy after The Sisters of Mercy split and Andrew Eldritch, the vocalist, successfully won the rights to the band name. When initially it was announced that Steinman was working on the "Eldritch" Sisters of Mercy debut album, fans were either disgusted, bemused or thought it was a joke, as it would have been the equivalent of hiring Steinman to produce Joy Division or The Stranglers...

But weirdly enough, it worked. It really really worked.

TSOM when they were a "proper alternative band":

TSOM as Eldritch + Steinmann:

Nov 27, 2018
Why do alternative bands sound like Bowie?
Because..... Bowie.

EDIT: A slightly more serious answer - I think Bowie was (a hell of a lot of the time) very clued in and spent a lot of time paying attention to what was going on in music, art, cinema etc, and he incorporated that into what he was doing at the time. Lots of alternative stuff sounds like Bowie because Bowie was paying attention to a lot of alternative stuff and brought elements of that stuff to his audience, which was a far wider audience.

Last edited:

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
They were shit, and their fans were, by and large, worse. I was in the Tube in London one evening in 1975 when they were playing, and the tartan mob was running rampage through the station I was in. Absolute cretins.
so you're a big fan then? :D

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
They were shit, and their fans were, by and large, worse. I was in the Tube in London one evening in 1975 when they were playing, and the tartan mob was running rampage through the station I was in. Absolute cretins.
They attracted a cohort from the Skinhead/Bootboy/Suedehead gangs that were dying out when they arrived on the scene. I’d well believe the scene you describe.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
They attracted a cohort from the Skinhead/Bootboy/Suedehead gangs that were dying out when they arrived on the scene. I’d well believe the scene you describe.
I remember gangs of them chanting It’s Scotland’s oil in their battles with the Auld Enemy

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Auld Enemy?
Flowers of the Forest - the Calcutta cup, Scotland vs England - the auld enemy - thing got very heated mid 70s when the SNP started really pushing that The English were stealing Scotland’s oil. Not sure if he took the tartan theme beyond his kilt, but there were reports Cookiemonster was seen at the Rose Tavern in Murrayfield wearing woad!!!!

Nov 29, 2018
Flowers of the Forest - the Calcutta cup, Scotland vs England - the auld enemy - thing got very heated mid 70s when the SNP started really pushing that The English were stealing Scotland’s oil. Not sure if Took the tartan theme beyond his kilt, but there were reports he was seen at the Rose Tavern in Murrayfield wearing woad!!!!
It I remember correctly that was the time of the 7:84 group and the play The Stag, The Cheviot and the Black, Black Oil

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
So sorry to read this. Brilliant guitarist and all-round musician.

I saw Dylan (yet again) in Dublin in 2009

Denny Freeman and that sh1t-kicking backing band were by far the best thing about the night.
Dylan said they were the best band he'd ever played with.

Apr 24, 2020
Michael Collins (Astronaut):

Apparently there is a housing estate on the northside named after the lunar landings. Armstrong and Aldrin are OK, but Michael Collins was a bridge too far..

RIP though. Those guys were all incredible. All still are. Soon there will be no living astronauts who were part of the Apollo program....

And hence, no humans who have walked on another body.

Top Bottom