RIP thread...

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
TV chef Gary Rhodes dies aged 59

TV chef Gary Rhodes, known for his appearances on MasterChef and Hell's Kitchen, has died at the age of 59.

The well-known restaurateur died unexpectedly with his wife by his bedside in Dubai, according to reports.

In a statement, the family of Gary Rhodes said: "The Rhodes family are deeply saddened to announce the passing of beloved husband, father and brother, Gary Rhodes OBE.
"Gary passed away last evening, Tuesday 26th November 2019, at the age of 59, with his beloved wife Jennie by his side.

"The family would like to thank everyone for their support and ask for privacy during this time."
Sad news indeed ..

Good one MIRROR .. not

TV star Gary Rhodes dies aged 59
It is not known how he died, but in a now deleted tweet, Jamie Oliver said it came after a 'tragic fall'

Last edited:

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Jonathon Miller, of beyond the fringe has died. One of the last great polymaths and a contemporary of David Frost, Peter Cooke and Alan Bennett.

ETA see above.

D

Deleted member 72

A strange and multi talented man, RIP.

I never got my head around how such diverse and, on the face of it, completely different characters worked together on Beyond The Fringe.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
A strange and multi talented man, RIP.

I never got my head around how such diverse and, on the face of it, completely different characters worked together on Beyond The Fringe.
From what I understand, it was the pushing of boundaries that pushed them and held them together

D

Deleted member 72

I was very challenged by Millers comment on an ageing society.

“we're the only species to have a long post-productive period. While older people were revered when they were few and far between, might that change when they become a majority and a burden?"

A warning shot for The Boomers with their free travel and gold-plated pensions?

Kongming

Mar 13, 2019
I was very challenged by Millers comment on an ageing society.

“we're the only species to have a long post-productive period. While older people were revered when they were few and far between, might that change when they become a majority and a burden?"

A warning shot for The Boomers with their free travel and gold-plated pensions?
Old age and treachery, dear Cas... Old age and treachery.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
It's a day for dying, it would seem.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Bbc have just announced that Clive James has died.
Yes, just saw that now. I have a book of his essays---Cultural Amnesia--very witty and perceptive. He has been ill for some time, and has written about his impending death..

Last edited:

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
He'd been standing on the wrong side of death's door for about 10 years!
He was writing his own obituary on his website. Several thousand words long.
Met him once, when I worked in London, in a Café Nero near London Bridge. Wouldn't help me with the crossword though...

jmcc

Nov 27, 2018
Sad news. His poem "The book of my enemy has been remaindered" was one of the funniest satirical poems about the writing business in recent years.

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Seems Gary Rhodes died of a bleed on the brain
Gary Rhodes cause of death - Family say chef died after fall at home caused bleed on brain - IRISH MIRROR
In a statement they ( The Family ) said: "In order to end painful speculation surrounding the sudden passing of our beloved Gary Rhodes OBE, the Rhodes family can confirm that after a successful day shooting with Rock Oyster Media for ITV here in Dubai, Gary returned home in a very happy mood for a peaceful evening with his wife Jennie.

"After dinner, Gary, unfortunately, collapsed in their residence and was rushed to hospital but unfortunately passed away due to subdural hematoma. At this time, there are no other details and the family would again request privacy around this very tragic loss and again, thank friends and family for their ongoing support at this time.”

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Reason I set this thread up is to have ONE PLACE for say celebs, famous people infamous people and the like who unfortunately pass away .. rather than individual threads for each event ..

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Reason I set this thread up is to have ONE PLACE for say celebs, famous people infamous people and the like who unfortunately pass away .. rather than individual threads for each event ..
It is sensible, something that was resisted on another site.

One minor quibble - what about infamous people we are glad to see the back of? ;)

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
I spent more time watching these than attending lectures.

Carroll Spinney, who gave Big Bird his warmth and Oscar the Grouch his growl for nearly 50 years on 'Sesame Street,' died Sunday at the age of 85 at his home in Connecticut, according to the Sesame Workshop.

The Sesame Workshop said in a statement that the legendary puppeteer lived for some time with dystonia, which causes involuntary muscle contractions.

Spinney voiced and operated the two major Muppets from their inception in 1969 when he was 36, and performed them almost exclusively into his 80s on the PBS kids television show that later moved to HBO.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7769647/Sesame-Street-puppeteer-Carroll-Spinney-dies-age-85.html

Top Bottom