Please, sir, may I provide some feedback?

Mercurial

Dec 4, 2018
On a recent feedback thread I asked whether the moderators have an issue with LGBT issues being discussed on this site, after two threads on such issues were recently closed with little or no explanation by the mods (except for one suggestion - which prompted my other feedback thread - that the thread did not belong on the site).

In response, I was told by one of the mods:

"The mods have a serious problem with attitude on that threat.

Discuss the issue with manners, or don't discuss it at all. Simple."

The feedback I would like to provide on this thread is that the response I received was unhelpful, patronising, incorrect, and not conducive to the aims of any site that wants to foster respectful discussion among its members.

The response was unhelpful, because the thread was immediately locked after the reply, thereby making it impossible to ask any follow-up questions, or for other users to ask related question or provide further feedback.

The response was patronising, because it amounts to treating users like children who are unable to have a civil discussion, while treating the mods' judgment as infallible.

The response was incorrect insofar as this really isn't a simple matter, when we're dealing with such a highly subjective concept as manners and civility. Without clear guidelines to follow, ordinary users are effectively at the mercy of mods who can simply remove a post, lock a thread, or even ban a user on the basis that they aren't being polite enough. This is a deeply subjective standard which will lead to arbitrary modding decisions in the absence of any guidelines or even explanations being offered to users.

The response (and the implied policy behind it) is unlikely to be conducive to respectful discussion because it prioritizes civility above sincerity, and leads to a situation where the only topics that can be discussed are those which are unlikely to arouse passionate responses by those involved. If individuals break the site rules, there is no reason why they cannot be warned and dealt with appropriately on an individual basis, rather than locking an entire thread, thereby removing everyone's ability to engage.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

Mercurial

Dec 4, 2018
If this is the kind of childish response I get to a perfectly reasonable post in Feedback, you can feel free to delete my account. I'm not interested in participating in yet another site where mods provide cover for bigotry by making it impossible for users to criticize it.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
If this is the kind of childish response I get to a perfectly reasonable post in Feedback, you can feel free to delete my account. I'm not interested in participating in yet another site where mods provide cover for bigotry by making it impossible for users to criticize it.
I think you actually need to ponder my response in the light of the fact that you have posted two threads in the space of minutes effectively sealioning the mod team here. One of us is being childish, certainly.

Mercurial

Dec 4, 2018
I think you actually need to ponder my response in the light of the fact that you have posted two threads in the space of minutes effectively sealioning the mod team here. One of us is being childish, certainly.
The first feedback thread was posted asking for clarity because mods locked a thread without any explanation, and the second thread was posted because the response to the first thread was extremely unhelpful, for the reasons I set out above.

Dismissing the concerns I raised in both threads as "sealioning" only compounds the inadequacy of the original response, and signals a clear intention not to take any of these concerns seriously.

Mercurial

Dec 4, 2018
For the terminally unwilling to listen - we have no problem with the issues being discussed. We have a MASSIVE issue with the attitudes to discussion. Discuss, don't discuss, whatever.
These kinds of patronising replies are inconsistent with your professed concern with "attitude", unless of course the mods are to be held to a lower standard than the one you expect of posters.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
These kinds of patronising replies are inconsistent with your professed concern with "attitude", unless of course the mods are to be held to a lower standard than the one you expect of posters.
I guess you won't be staying then since our standards aren't up to your high expectations.

Mercurial

Dec 4, 2018
I guess you won't be staying then since our standards aren't up to your high expectations.
That's a rather telling characterisation of the expectation that mods should adhere to the standards they set of posters.

So no, I won't be staying. I have no time for bullies, and even less for those who would deny LGBT people the opportunity to discuss laws that affect us on what is supposed to be a politics discussion site. Please delete my account.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
That's a rather telling characterisation of the expectation that mods should adhere to the standards they set of posters.

So no, I won't be staying. I have no time for bullies, and even less for those who would deny LGBT people the opportunity to discuss laws that affect us on what is supposed to be a politics discussion site. Please delete my account.
Bye then. You seem to be arrogant enough to decide you are the only lgbt poster on the site, and the sole arbiter of what can and can't be discussed. Wrong on both counts I'm afraid.

Mercurial

Dec 4, 2018
Bye then. You seem to be arrogant enough to decide you are the only lgbt poster on the site, and the sole arbiter of what can and can't be discussed. Wrong on both counts I'm afraid.
Locking threads because you don't like the fact that LGBT people are not as polite as you would like us to be when we discuss our oppression is not a good look. Neither is responding to feedback in a way that demonstrates such thin skin, not to mention a complete lack of self-awareness.

I thought this site was supposed to be an alternative to P.ie, not merely a cheap imitation of it.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Locking threads because you don't like the fact that LGBT people are not as polite as you would like us to be when we discuss our oppression is not a good look. Neither is responding to feedback in a way that demonstrates such thin skin, not to mention a complete lack of self-awareness.

I thought this site was supposed to be an alternative to P.ie, not merely a cheap imitation of it.
And yet you just can't let go and consider that maybe your behavior and that of the other contributors might be the problem here.

I note also that you've completely ignored that fact that you're behaving as if you're the sole arbiter of what can and can't be discussed on an LGBT thread, and are in fact doubling down.

If you don't like it, leave.

@Colm, you might deal with Merc's GDPR request.

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Mercurial - if you aren't paranoid you are certainly glorying in being offended - by everything.
Not everything has to be viewed through your prism of your own perceived victimhood.

Mercurial

Dec 4, 2018
And yet you just can't let go and consider that maybe your behavior and that of the other contributors might be the problem here.

I note also that you've completely ignored that fact that you're behaving as if you're the sole arbiter of what can and can't be discussed on an LGBT thread, and are in fact doubling down.

If you don't like it, leave.

@Colm, you might deal with Merc's GDPR request.
Look at meeeee - I'm a victimmmmmmm
Mercurial - if you aren't paranoid you are certainly glorying in being offended - by everything.
Not everything has to be viewed through your prism of your own perceived victimhood.

Perhaps after he's done deleting my account @Colm would consider what it looks like to have moderators responding to feedback threads by mocking and bullying an LGBT poster who was concerned that the site's moderators were censoring discussion on LGBT issues.

Top Bottom