Music

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
I came across Stivell previously from listening to Dan Ar Braz....

If your not familiar with him ( i somehow suspect you are :) ) a fine guitarist and composer from Brittany who has done a lot for Breton music and culture and who has played and collabarated with many artists from Ireland and other Celtic countries along with playing in Fairport for a short time during the 70's and even rocking out with Rory Gallagher....!
Saw him in Edinburgh in the 70s :D

Mitsui2

Nov 30, 2018
Between Time and Timbuktu
Saw him in Edinburgh in the 70s :D

He was actually quite big in the South in the early 70s, as part of that Horslips-inspired "Celtic Rock" sort of thing.

Personally I was mainly listening to Marc Bolan, Bowie and the real Roxy Music at the time, but my older brothers deemed determined to get into Alan Stivell... howver much work it might turn out to be.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Before i disappear off down the rabbit hole of Rory vids on YouTube thanks to Cruimh.... :)..... I'll leave this here.........this song helped me through a tough time in my life many years ago...... it's amazing what music can do.......

Mitsui2

Nov 30, 2018
Before i disappear off down the rabbit hole of Rory vids on YouTube thanks to Cruimh.... :)..... I'll leave this here.........this song helped me through a tough time in my life many years ago...... it's amazing what music can do.......

I've been a Martin admirer for a very long time but he lived here in Wexford for ages and I know many, many very reliable - and generally extremely tolerant - chronic pub-goers who knew him in various hostelries and proclaim him a grade-A, utter, complete, absolutely hyperbolic f*ing ct when he had too many drinks in. Some of these folk were big fans, and suffered very genuine disillusionment.

I guess it's the alky thing.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
I've been a Martin admirer for a very long time but he lived here in Wexford for ages and I know many, many very reliable - and generally extremely tolerant - chronic pub-goers who knew him in various hostelries and proclaim him a grade-A, utter, complete, absolutely hyperbolic f*ing ct when he had too many drinks in. Some of these folk were big fans, and suffered very genuine disillusionment.

I guess it's the alky thing.
Yes I've heard that before.....I watched the documentary about him a few years ago and I knew he lived in Ireland but thought he was in Kilkenny ... ...its very sad as he was such a huge talent ..

Like many my first toe in the water to his music was the 'Solid Air' album that I bought in HMV in Grafton St where it was in the bargain bin I had heard his name mentioned as I was listening to Richard Thompson ...I had just been given one of the early CD players for my birthday a PIoneer (which I still have) and used to sit and listen to to that album for hours on headphones....

Mitsui2

Nov 30, 2018
Yes I've heard that before.....I watched the documentary about him a few years ago and I knew he lived in Ireland but thought he was in Kilkenny ... ...its very sad as he was such a huge talent ..

Like many my first toe in the water to his music was the 'Solid Air' album that I bought in HMV in Grafton St where it was in the bargain bin I had heard his name mentioned as I was listening to Richard Thompson ...I had just been given one of the early CD players for my birthday a PIoneer (which I still have) and used to sit and listen to to that album for hours on headphones....
I had the fortune/misfortune to hear Grace and Danger at the time when my heart was first properly broken, and it was the source of immense solace and misery to me. One of the things that most baffled me when I heard the stories about him was the undeniable fact that the man could write and play (presumably when at least partly sober) with the most aching tenderness, and the stories I was hearing didn't seem to fit with that at all.

As I say, presumably it was the alky thing.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
John Kelly is a lovely guy - but I nearly always change channels when 'Mystery Train' comes on - I just don't get his stuff at all.

There.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Lovely to hear Supply Demand & Curve played on Lyric just now - as part of a feature on the late Joylyn (sp?) Jackson.

Edit:

Last edited:

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
Love listening to this, but can someone tell me what the f is it all about? And what does the title reference?

Mitsui2

Nov 30, 2018
Love listening to this, but can someone tell me what the f is it all about? And what does the title reference?

If I remember right the title - possibly the story in the lyrics also - refers to a film for which the song was supposed to be the soundtrack or part of the soundtrack, "After the Goldrush" being the title of the proposed film. In the event the film never got made but Young was (as he remains) a proud member of the "waste not, want not" school.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
A new artist to me at least. Great voice.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
On the subject of Richard T.

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
Anyone remember this…
😊

Top Bottom