Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
All sorts of theories as to who was behind the murder - one consistent claim is that the assassins spoke Spanish and English - which makes me wonder if that is an attempt to point some blame at the Dominican Republic. Haiti was a French colony and the Dominican Republic Spanish - hence the difference in dominant languages. The Dominican republic has closed the border though that may be to try and stop refugees

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
All sorts of theories as to who was behind the murder - one consistent claim is that the assassins spoke Spanish and English - which makes me wonder if that is an attempt to point some blame at the Dominican Republic. Haiti was a French colony and the Dominican Republic Spanish - hence the difference in dominant languages. The Dominican republic has closed the border though that may ne to try and stop refugees

Speaking of which heres another brilliant book:

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

All very odd -

A group of 28 foreign mercenaries, including retired Colombian soldiers, assassinated Haiti's President Jovenel Moïse earlier this week, police say.

Most were detained after a gun battle at a house in the capital Port-au-Prince where they were holed up.

Bloodied and bruised, suspects were paraded in front of media on Thursday, along with a slew of seized weapons.

Eight more suspects are still on the run and three others were shot dead by police officers.

Police say they are still searching for the masterminds behind the attack.
Is it credible that such a large gang was to be used to "arrest" the President?
Reminiscent of the "arrest" and assassination of Ngo Dinh Diem?

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.

Who knows what’s going on? I thought thr US would move in?

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Who knows what’s going on? I thought thr US would move in?

I guess they are wary of getting sucked in - and hope the UN will do the lifting

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Slightly different take than that from Reuters on Friday :

The US has already said it will send FBI and other agents to Port-au-Prince, two days after Mr Moise was brutally killed by gunmen in his home, opening up a power vacuum in the impoverished and crisis-hit Caribbean nation.

In the wake of the killing "we thought that the mercenaries could destroy some infrastructure to create chaos in the country. During a conversation with the US Secretary of State and the UN we made this request," elections minister Mathias Pierre told AFP.

The US State Department and Pentagon both confirmed receiving a request for "security and investigative assistance" and said officials remain in contact with Port-au-Prince, but did not specify whether military troops would be deployed.

The UN did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Haitian police and the politicians who stepped into the political vacuum created by Moïse’s killing have claimed he was shot at about 1am by members of a predominantly Colombian hit squad who had stormed the president’s hillside residence. “Foreigners came to our country to kill the president,” police chief Léon Charles alleged after the shooting.

However

On Friday, Steven Benoit, a prominent opposition politician and former senator, told the local radio station Magik9: “The president was assassinated by his own guards, not by the Colombians.”

A report in the Colombian magazine Semana, citing an anonymous source, suggested the former Colombian soldiers had travelled to Haiti after being hired to protect Moïse, who had reputedly been receiving death threats, rather than kill him.

Further adding to the mystery, the Colombian newspaper El Tiempo claimed a source had told it that security footage from the presidential compound showed the Colombian operatives arriving there at between 2.30 and 2.40am on Wednesday. “That means they arrived one and a half hours after the crime against the president,” the source was quoted as saying.

On the face of it the foreign mercenary bodyguard suggestion is easier to credit than have such a huge team arrive for an assassination?

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
It's very difficult to establish anything approaching the truth, it is Haiti after all.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Most article behind firewall but a US connection?

Police in Haiti have said that they have arrested a doctor they believe is a key suspect in organising the assassination last week of Jovenel Moïse, the president.

Christian Emmanuel Sanon, a 63-year-old Haitian citizen with long-standing ties to Florida, entered the country on a private jet early last month with “political motives”, they said, claiming that he planned to assume the presidency and hire some of the other men involved in the assassination as security guards.
And according to this Biden is considering the possibility of US intervention

The Guardian was talking of the Colombians having been hired to protect the president ...

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
So - some of the Dead president's security staff have been arrested

Claude Joseph, interim prime minister, has tried to assert control in the wake of the assassination, appealing so far without success for UN and US troops to help guard key installations.

In Washington, President Joe Biden said he had ordered marines to Haiti to guard the US embassy but that for now the idea of sending a larger contingent of soldiers “is not on the agenda”.

Top Bottom