Essential Workers Commemoration row

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
I'm gobsmacked at the territoriality and possessiveness shown in response to an attempt to commemorate essential workers and Victims of COVID

The plan unveiled by Cuomo at the end of June called for a circle of 19 maple trees, representing the individual groups of essential workers of the coronavirus pandemic. In the center, there would be an eternal flame honoring those lost to COVID. Cuomo also called for “Essential Worker Park” to be established at the site.
Especially as sites like Irish Central has made much of claims that many essential workers are Irish American

Anger that new NYC memorial could "undermine" Irish Hunger Memorial

The proposal to place the Circle of Heroes, the new essential workers memorial, adjacent to the Irish Hunger Memorial is being met with fierce pushback.
Reminded me of Proinsias O Drisceoil's warning some 25 years ago

In the Republic, historical ecumenism proceeds more freely. Though with sudden replays of looptapes between past and present. In 1995 Proinsias O Drisceoil warned that 'commemoration is likely to become a primary site of cultural politics'. Many interpretive communities, including more powerful groups than the academy, take a proprietary interest in the Irish past. O Drisceoil's main example of cultural politics converging on commemoration was the Famine, whose popular reinvention he was among the first to construe as driven by Irish America, and as serving the interests of 'nationalist ideologues and tourist promoters' handed 'an unsurpassable opportunity to combine in “re-living” (and in selling) a Catholic Irish trauma which transferred to North America and which can capably match the weltschmertz of any ethnic competitor'. 26

26 'Sites of Commemoration', Times Change, 5 (Summer/Autumn 1995), 23.
(Mine in bold)

Edna Longley, Page 231, History and Memory in Modern Ireland, Edited by Ian McBride, 2001

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
I'm gobsmacked at the territoriality and possessiveness shown in response to an attempt to commemorate essential workers and Victims of COVID

Especially as sites like Irish Central has made much of claims that many essential workers are Irish American

Anger that new NYC memorial could "undermine" Irish Hunger Memorial

Reminded me of Proinsias O Drisceoil's warning some 25 years ago

(Mine in bold)

Edna Longley, Page 231, History and Memory in Modern Ireland, Edited by Ian McBride, 2001
Seems a bit precious to me to object on those grounds.

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Negotiations continue:

Top Bottom