Emerging Virus'es ( Human ) + VARIANTS thread

Round tower

Feb 16, 2019
It's good to see public officials calling out politicians' lies. Here's a touch of it from home but I suppose the AG is a political appointee.

One of the issues he raised was nightclubs like Copper Faces Jacks could up as a indoor pub/resteraunt and start indoor hospitality, but for CFJ to operate as nightclub do they not need a special licence, do they still have a public houde licence.

Nov 29, 2018
The social media companies have a lot to answer for…….

Unfortunately these fools are a danger to others, including the medical staff who have treat them. As far as I am concerned they should be treated in the same way as anyone who deliberately infects others with AIDs, TB, typhoid, etc and should be dealt with accordingly.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Dr Fauci weighs in ... Says it as it is to GOP Senator Rand Paul 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 ....

This is a previous contribution from the esteemed Senator Paul - a perhaps a rather bizarre effort to revive the career of a long-forgotten 80's pop star (remember the dirge 'Right Here Waiting'?)

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Unfortunately these fools are a danger to others, including the medical staff who have treat them. As far as I am concerned they should be treated in the same way as anyone who deliberately infects others with AIDs, TB, typhoid, etc and should be dealt with accordingly.
The Defence Forces used to have an offence called a 'self inflicted injury' - subject to disciplinary action.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Well I will take this .. nice news to be hearing

And this is a message they need to publicise more TBH:

Mr Reid urged young people to be mindful of the date on which their vaccination takes effect.
"We have seen instances of people getting vaccinated, travelling away very quickly and coming back with Covid."

THIS:

In the past 14 days, 75% of cases have been in those aged under 34, and 32% under the age of 13.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018
AND:

Something to consider when schools be opening in a few weeks?
I read today that it seems that Ireland is planning to follow the UK and only vaccinated 12-16 year olds with underlying medical conditions, rather than France where all 12+ are already being vaccinated.

I also saw something, which I find hard to believe, correct me if I have picked it up wrongly. Is it true that anyone, fully vaccinated and a contract with a positive case is not being tested? If that is the case, they will have incomplete data on the effectiveness of the vaccines and will make it impossible to eliminate good old "community" spread. The cynic is me suspects that these deliberate failures are designed to, once again, skew the numbers which originate in pubs and restaurants.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
I read today that it seems that Ireland is planning to follow the UK and only vaccinated 12-16 year olds with underlying medical conditions, rather than France where all 12+ are already being vaccinated.

I also saw something, which I find hard to believe, correct me if I have picked it up wrongly. Is it true that anyone, fully vaccinated and a contract with a positive case is not being tested? If that is the case, they will have incomplete data on the effectiveness of the vaccines and will make it impossible to eliminate good old "community" spread. The cynic is me suspects that these deliberate failures are designed to, once again, skew the numbers which originate in pubs and restaurants.
First I heard of it and I too would find it hard to believe. Certainly I know of two people in the past week who are fully vaxed and got tested due to being possible contacts. One positive (sniffles only), one negative.

Round tower

Feb 16, 2019

Not yet, from next week onwards when people is tested for covid at a test centre they will be given 5 antigen tests to be given to close contacts if theit test come back positive. If any of the close contacts antigen tests come back positive or show symptoms then they get tested.

Nov 29, 2018
Not yet, from next week onwards when people is tested for covid at a test centre they will be given 5 antigen tests to be given to close contacts if theit test come back positive. If any of the close contacts antigen tests come back positive or show symptoms then they get tested.
A sure way to spread the disease, every contact should be an immediate PCR test and isolate for five days with a further PCR test at five days. Even professionally administered antigen tests bring inaccurate results, self administered are even worse.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Really getting worried about this DELTA VARIANT in the states .. Epidemiologist on CNN ( Dr Larry Brilliant ) who helped eradicate small pox said DELTA is far more infectious.

Alot more breakthrough infections now. OK epidemic of the unvaccinated .. for the moment. BUT its the actual amount of it thats the issue, just like in UK. Spread it to the kids and consequently to others.

Possible big push on masks again in the USA it seems

Hospitals in states now filling with many who, yes you guessed, refused vaccines or were antivax / conspiracy leaning. In otherwise up to now these people were some how getting away with it and therefore believed it was all fake because of that really annoying human thing of if I dont see it around me then I dont believe. But now with the transmissibility of delta .. suddenly I BELIEVE, but now Im in fcking hospital taking up a bed that could be for someone else with another illness. All down to a fcking CHOICE you made. Actually if you think of it the ultimate in selfishness, if you see the way Im thinking

And then the disgusting behaviour of the GOP .. right down to not admitting they got vaxed or not. Fcking childish

Sorry there are people here I just cannot feel sorry for ..

This fcking line about oh no I wont take a vax because we dont know enough about the vaccines. That then implies you reckon the virus is at worst minor or fake. Well FCK em .. the arrogance.

God bless the health care workers who have to deal with this rubbish. And then look at the millions in Africa and other parts of the world who would bite the hand off you for these vaccines. Its disgusting

And then this GOP florida govenor De santos calling masks Muzzles .. freedom over fauci-ism. And this is all just a seasonal thing. Florida rampant. These people are arrogant MURDERERS

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Really getting worried about this DELTA VARIANT in the states .. Epidemiologist on CNN ( Dr Larry Brilliant ) who helped eradicate small pox said DELTA is far more infectious.

Alot more breakthrough infections now. OK epidemic of the unvaccinated .. for the moment. BUT its the actual amount of it thats the issue, just like in UK. Spread it to the kids and consequently to others.

Hospitals in states now filling with many who, yes you guessed, refused vaccines or were antivax / conspiracy leaning. In otherwise up to now these people were some how getting away with it and therefore believed it was all fake because of that really annoying human thing of if I dont see it around me then I dont believe. But now with the transmissibility of delta .. suddenly I BELIEVE, but now Im in fcking hospital taking up a bed that could be for someone else with another illness. All down to a fcking CHOICE you made. Actually if you think of it the ultimate in selfishness, if you see the way Im thinking

And then the disgusting behaviour of the GOP .. right down to not admitting they got vaxed or not. Fcking childish

This fcking line about oh no I wont take a vax because we dont know enough about the vaccines. That then implies you reckon the virus is at worst minor or fake. Well FCK em .. the arrogance.

God bless the health care workers who have to deal with this rubbish. And then look at the millions in Africa and other parts of the world who would bite the hand off you for these vaccines. Its disgusting

And then this GOP florida govenor De santos calling masks Muzzles .. freedom over fauci-ism. And this is all just a seasonal thing. Florida rampant. These people are arrogant MURDERERS

Oh yeah guess who else is in Florida of course
Heres an example. And the one common feature with them all when in a bed in a hospital, touch and go is OH I SHOULDA GOT VACCINATED, I regret. Jesus wept

How many of these idiots, using there position, influence far more gullible people to not take the vax and are now DEAD. Thats murder in my view

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018

I do wish it were possible to create tent "fever wards" and isolate them there to let their "natural immunity" fight the virus for them. These places could be staffed by other anti vaxxers, both medically qualified and not.

Isolate them from those who are/want to be vaccinated, fuck them. Why the hell should they be allowed to endanger the lives of hospital staff.

Instead of ICU beds and ventilators, let threat themselves with bleach, lasers and the rest of their quack remedies.

Feb 26, 2019
If we get nothing else out of this bloody pandemic, I hope to hell that the medieval plague of anti-vax superstition is put back in the tinfoil-hatted box of gobshitery where it belongs.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
If we get nothing else out of this bloody pandemic, I hope to hell that the medieval plague of anti-vax superstition is put back in the tinfoil-hatted box of gobshitery where it belongs.
But tell us how you really feel, caller.

Nov 27, 2018
The very depressing stand-outs of the past 18 months are 1) solidarity and empathy have a very short half-life and 2) there are a hell of a lot more stupid people in the world than I feared. Are people just thick, or is there something fundamentally wrong with educational systems that we’ve missed?

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
The very depressing stand-outs of the past 18 months are 1) solidarity and empathy have a very short half-life and 2) there are a hell of a lot more stupid people in the world than I feared. Are people just thick, or is there something fundamentally wrong with educational systems that we’ve missed?
OR there is alot more people in the world with serious mental issues there because of genetic faults. EG many people out there with very little empathy which is a sign of psychopathy .. maybe this is more genetic than we think? We all have grown up in schools and work always wondering about that person or those people, even bosses and have concluded there is just something not right there. Also i am sure we all have looked at people throughout our lives and wondered how do they even hold down a job

Isnt here some sort of mental genetic issue with the Celtic race .. vague memory of this?

Psychopathy is defined as a mental (antisocial) disorder in which an individual manifests amoral and antisocial behavior, shows a lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, expresses extreme egocentricity, and demonstrates a failure to learn from experience and other behaviors associated with the condition.

Nov 27, 2018
OR there is alot more people in the world with serious mental issues there because of genetic faults. EG many people out there with very little empathy which is a sign of psychopathy .. maybe this is more genetic than we think? We all have grown up in schools and work always wondering about that person or those people, even bosses and have concluded there is just something not right there. Also i am sure we all have looked at people throughout our lives and wondered how do they even hold down a job

Isnt here some sort of mental genetic issue with the Celtic race .. vague memory of this?

Psychopathy is defined as a mental (antisocial) disorder in which an individual manifests amoral and antisocial behavior, shows a lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, expresses extreme egocentricity, and demonstrates a failure to learn from experience and other behaviors associated with the condition.
I wouldn’t say it’s specifically Celtic - there are a silly amount of people with strange notions, or no notions on Poland, and I’d say it’s the same worldwide.

It seems thought that people’s understanding of fairly basic science seems to be getting worse.

“I don’t believe science” ???? NO-ONE believes science. That’s what makes it science. Of the evidence shows that a situation or interaction consistently and repeatedly produces the same result, there’s nothing to believe. There’s something to observe.

This is what I mean about education: the distinctions between opinion, deduction, proven theory and fact just don’t seem to exist in a large amount of people’s heads. This is basic stuff.

“Cause and effect” seems to have largely gone by the wayside too.

Grrrrr.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019

It's 100% opportunism from the politicians. In essence the US equivalent of our National question is Personal Freedom. How could you be against Personal Freedom, it's unamerican, you must be a communist, it's everyone's patriotic duty to shout rather think.

It's your inalienable right to be free in the country with the highest proportion of its population in jail in the World.

They're sold the American dream of 1950s post war optimism and consumerism while the public themselves are working two and three jobs just to stay running on the spot.

Eventually the current hysteria will calm down until the next time, or will it. Some very rich people with very deep pockets seem intent on keeping the plebs agitated against everyone but those same rich people.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
”Why in the world would I go get a vaccine when I’m not in a high-risk category?” – Phil Valentine

:mad:

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
”Why in the world would I go get a vaccine when I’m not in a high-risk category?” – Phil Valentine

The fact that media people are defined by their political position tells you all you need to know.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
I do wish it were possible to create tent "fever wards" and isolate them there to let their "natural immunity" fight the virus for them. These places could be staffed by other anti vaxxers, both medically qualified and not.

Isolate them from those who are/want to be vaccinated, fuck them. Why the hell should they be allowed to endanger the lives of hospital staff.

Instead of ICU beds and ventilators, let threat themselves with bleach, lasers and the rest of their quack remedies.
There’s a doctor from Rush who could staff that tent.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019

He doesn’t deserve any treatment. God knows how many have died from his grifting.

Leinsterview

Mar 11, 2019
Heres an example. And the one common feature with them all when in a bed in a hospital, touch and go is OH I SHOULDA GOT VACCINATED, I regret. Jesus wept

How many of these idiots, using there position, influence far more gullible people to not take the vax and are now DEAD. Thats murder in my view

I have to say when I get this from patients I feel like banging my head (and their heads) against the wall. What is particularly irritating is variations on the 'what will be will be/it's God's will' theme.

Leinsterview

Mar 11, 2019
I originally expected that thing would have stabilised by now. And they would have if the original variant were still predominant; the Delta variant has thrown the cat among the pigeons. Nevertheless, with our impressive vaccination rate of about 350000 per week and low percentage of vaccine recalcitrants, I think we will be among the first to reach the Holy Grail of herd immunity -- probably by September. I note in a posting above Liam Fanning positing a multiplier of about 4 in terms of known/actual covid cases. I always factored this in at about 2. This makes me even more optimistic.

Last edited:

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
I originally expected that thing's would have stabilised by now. And they would have if the original variant were still predominant; the Delta variant has thrown the cat among the pigeons. Nevertheless, with our impressive vaccination rate of about 350000 per week and low percentage of vaccine recalcitrants, I think we will be among the first to reach the Holy Grail of herd immunity -- probably by September. I note in a posting above Liam Fanning positing a multiplier of about 4 in terms of known/actual covid cases. I always factored this in at about 2. This makes me even more optimistic.
What's your thinking on the effects of future variants?

Top Bottom