Emerging Virus'es ( Human ) + VARIANTS thread

Feb 26, 2019
If only 5% of cases here are in the fully vaccinated, that implies that today's 1000 cases would be 50 if we had everyone fully vaccinated. I don't know if Varadkar was using hyperbole or actual stats today, but he appeared to say that of the last 200 admissions to ICU, only one had been of a vaccinated person. That strikes me as a really startling figure.
It would also be interesting to get demographics of those 5%. Which vaccine did they receive? How long ago? Which age group are they in? Do they have underlying conditions? It's basically a great opportunity to track and model the behaviour of the Delta variant (I haven't seen it reported but I guess it's reasonable to assume that Delta is close enough to 100% of our cases by now).

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Make sure you listen .. excellent. James O Brien "Full Disclosure" podcast

Sarah Gilbert and Catherine Green

Before the World Health Organisation declared the outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 a pandemic, scientists Professor Sarah Gilbert and Dr Catherine Green had already started developing a vaccine against the virus which would go on to bring the world to a standstill. Their book, Vaxxers reveals the story behind the Oxford AstraZeneca jab, one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of medicine.

Feb 26, 2019

It is not unusual that 5 per cent of new Covid-19 cases are among people who are fully vaccinated, the Health Service Executive (HSE) chief executive said.

Paul Reid said this figure follows trends seen in the United Kingdom and that people with Covid-19 who are fully vaccinated have not been admitted to hospital at this stage. He noted the high level of protection vaccines provide against admission to hospital and intensive care.

Speaking on Morning Ireland, Mr Reid said there is a “new vulnerable” group comprising those who are not yet vaccinated. He said 87 per cent of cases over the last fortnight have been in people under 45, compared to 40 per cent in January.
More or less what you'd expect at this stage.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
👀

This is an absolutely brutal assessment.
A message from THE WORLD, equally as brutal

Key points:
  • Murderous strategy
  • Herd immunity impossible
  • Vaccination not a single solution
  • Health/well being and economics improve when covid under control
  • Arrogance and British Exceptionalism thinking we can do it differently. No other country would progress this UK strategy

Last edited:

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019

Key points:
  • Murderous strategy
  • Arrogance and British Exceptionalism thinking we can do it differently. No other country would progress this UK strategy
We need to ban all travel to and from the U.K.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

Key points:
  • Murderous strategy

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
They are basically creating the perfect environment for vaccine escape through further mutation.

Delta is already here, and rife. But creating super spreader events could put us (globally) way back.
Indeed they are and on our doortsep. Not a thing RoI can do about it either because it looks like NI will insist on copying the English, whatever they do, and it will seep across the land border, which must be kept open.

The English are more of a danger as regards vaccine resistant mutations than any undeveloped or developing country with a low vax rate.

I think the best we can hope for is that the continent of EU places travel bans on the Brits until they come to their senses.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Make sure you listen .. excellent. James O Brien "Full Disclosure" podcast

Sarah Gilbert and Catherine Green

Before the World Health Organisation declared the outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 a pandemic, scientists Professor Sarah Gilbert and Dr Catherine Green had already started developing a vaccine against the virus which would go on to bring the world to a standstill. Their book, Vaxxers reveals the story behind the Oxford AstraZeneca jab, one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of medicine.
Haven't time to listen at the moment, but good to see them getting credit for it, considering their achievement has got little more than dog's abuse as an 'inferior' vaccine in recent months, frequently from people who should know better.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

So maybe not tin foil hat stuff after all ..

According to information obtained by AFP, the WHO has now developed a protocol for evaluating laboratory safety and biological security to help ascertain whether the virus might have emerged due to a lab accident.

Nov 29, 2018
That implies attempting to close the NI / RoI border. It's not going to happen.
Start with air and sea routes from the UK, mandatory supervised quarantine in hotels for all. The border can be handled differently.

It would reduce if not fully eliminate travel related cases from the UK.

Last edited:

CarlDoyle

Feb 10, 2021
Start with air and sea routes from the UK, mandatory supervised quarantine in hotels for all. The border can be handled differently.
Right, perfection isn't required. Even if it only halves the number of people traveling, then that it better than not deterring anyone.

Even just putting gardai on a few roads from NI would deter some people from traveling from NI and even without any restrictions for the NI border, it still helps.

Even for the "easy" entrance, where people fly to Belfast and then drive south, queues on the Belfest to Dublin motorway alone would deter most of that.

Some people would know the alternative routes, but for many tourists, it isn't worth the extra hassle.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018

It would reduce if not fully understand eliminate travel related cases from the UK.
Just for clarity, when you say air and sea routes from the UK, are you actually referring to the island of Britain, rather than the UK?

Round tower

Feb 16, 2019
Right, perfection isn't required. Even if it only halves the number of people traveling, then that it better than not deterring anyone.

Even just putting gardai on a few roads from NI would deter some people from traveling from NI and even without any restrictions for the NI border, it still helps.

Even for the "easy" entrance, where people fly to Belfast and then drive south, queues on the Belfest to Dublin motorway alone would deter most of that.

Some people would know the alternative routes, but for many tourists, it isn't worth the extra hassle.
To NI, reports say their is people from the Republic traveling to NI for indoor gining and hospitality.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
The number of deaths to date in the UK is 128,000 approx .. I noted an interesting thing mentioned on SKY along with the deaths number - WITHIN 28 days of initial positive result. So one could probably argue that as a result of covid itself the number is way higher with more dying of it beyond that 28 day cutoff point for stats reasons

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
The number of deaths to date in the UK is 128,000 approx .. I noted an interesting thing mentioned on SKY along with the deaths number - WITHIN 28 days of initial positive result. So one could probably argue that as a result of covid itself the number is way higher with more dying of it beyond that 28 day cutoff point for stats reasons
They didn’t count deaths outside hospital settings for a long time either. Don’t know if they’re still doing it.

Nov 27, 2018
I stand corrected.
I can understand why people shy away from using ‘Great Britain’ and is ‘UK’.

There’s a certain type of person who’s head reaches explosion point when it’s pointed out to them that the “Great” in “GB” doesn’t mean “good”, “wonderful”, “superior”, etc, but just means “the wider area”.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
I can understand why people shy away from using ‘Great Britain’ and is ‘UK’.

There’s a certain type of person who’s head reaches explosion point when it’s pointed out to them that the “Great” in “GB” doesn’t mean “good”, “wonderful”, “superior”, etc, but just means “the wider area”.
I tend to use "Britain" if I'm describing the island to the east of Ireland. Interestingly, and as I think I pointed out on another thread recently, the GB plates used on cars travelling abroad from there never included NI. The car registration systems for GB and Ireland (the entire country of) were entirely separate until relatively recently.

Nov 27, 2018
I tend to use "Britain" if I'm describing the island to the east of Ireland. Interestingly, and as I think I pointed out on another thread recently, the GB plates used on cars travelling abroad from there never included NI. The car registration systems for GB and Ireland (the entire country of) were entirely separate until relatively recently.
Greater Manchester refers to the city of Manchester plus lots of other areas that are not Manchester, but Manchester encroached upon / absorbed as it grew outwards.

GB makes sense in this way, in that there’s “Britain“, (mostly southern England plus other bits that ooze “historical/cultural Britishness) plus lots of other bits on the island/land mass that aren’t really “British” (Cornwall, most of Scotland, s fair bit of Wales, etc.) but are connected by land to this bits that are “Britain”.

Top Bottom