DIGITAL COVID CERTs, Lockdowns / Opening up, Airborne, Ventilation, Quarantine. NPHET/GOV Pressers. Business, SCHOOLS, Hospitality

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
BTW ... as of next Monday with pubs and restaurants open for indoors .. Are nightclubs back open again too?

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
And the thing is you most likely will find a huge number of these trolls individually are using multiple accounts to spread the bile.

I use twitter quiet alot for news and keeping up based on who I follow. BUT the issue is when you start reading the tweet comments. Before it used to be considered replies that in themselves were interesting BUT now its just negative useless bile, twitter is drowning in it which is a shame because as a concept it was a good idea. It needs heavy moderation TBH and also to weed out the multiple accounts.

However one person in biz said to me twitter would leave all this happen BECAUSE with the negative bile comments it creates more comments from people being wound up etc which matters to the platforms bottom line numbers wise. You could argue same happens at newspaper sites allowing comments, forums etc

But surely that's the whole point - their business thrives on discord and division and they have a vested interest in not clamping down on it. Biden is right - they ARE killing people, and I'm not sure why he just named Facebook. I have to say I avoid the lot of them like the plague. One of the common features of Twitter 'influencers' that I see quoted, even on this site, is that I've almost always never heard of them and they appear to have no obvious qualification to pronounce on the subject in question. At least with the Guardian or even the IT or the BBC the correspondent is likely (hopefully!) to have some minimal insight into it.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
I use Facebook, Instagram and Twitter occasionally, I also read the Times, the Express and the Telegraph occasionally, caveat emptor.

I am comfortable with my critical faculties and my ability to parse given situations.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
I never joined twitter, facebook, linkedin etc but my sprogs have installed whatsapp on my phone - my only concession to the babel - necessary for photos and videos of grandson.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
I use Facebook, Instagram and Twitter occasionally, I also read the Times, the Express and the Telegraph occasionally, caveat emptor.

I am comfortable with my critical faculties and my ability to parse given situations.
Twitter, mostly poetry-related. I read the IT and the Guardian, being woke and all. I listen to news on the radio a lot.

Nov 29, 2018
Twitter, mostly poetry-related. I read the IT and the Guardian, being woke and all. I listen to news on the radio a lot.
Read the IT and Guardian and local French papers, watch French, Irish and British TV stations, never listen to the radio. I use FB and Twitter and follow a few family members and friends on Instagram. When I first came to France I joined a lot of local FB groups, having sifted the rubbish, I remain a member of some which are quite informative and helped wade my way through French bureaucracy, rule of thumb send every official document you have had in your possession, starting with parents birth certificates.

I certainly do not rely on FB or Twitter for medical or scientific advice.

Last edited:

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Three days of freedom and this is what you get:

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Donegal and Louth. I wonder why?

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Donegal and Louth. I wonder why?

I asked this question repeatedly the last time this happened and never got any coherent explanations. You are probably referring to the border but why then do Leitrim, Cavan and Monaghan have lower than average rates? Even within Donegal, Letterkenny, Milford and Glenties have rates not much above the national average, while Buncrana has had over 1% of its entire population infected in 14 days, and Carndonagh almost 2%!! At this stage you would probably pick it up there just from breathing.

I have cancelled my planned visit to Donegal (south of the county, but still high rates) next weekend, off to Clare instead!

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
I asked this question repeatedly the last time this happened and never got any coherent explanations. You are probably referring to the border but why then do Leitrim, Cavan and Monaghan have lower than average rates? Even within Donegal, Letterkenny, Milford and Glenties have rates not much above the national average, while Buncrana has had over 1% of its entire population infected in 14 days, and Carndonagh almost 2%!! At this stage you would probably pick it up there just from breathing.

I have cancelled my planned visit to Donegal (south of the county, but still high rates) next weekend, off to Clare instead!

I agree. My puzzlement is exactly that not all border counties are equally affected. Is it just down to variation in cross border traffic?

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
I agree. My puzzlement is exactly that not all border counties are equally affected. Is it just down to variation in cross border traffic?
My suspicion is that it's down to natural hinterlands within which people mix and commute. There are similar variations between counties and electoral districts throughout the island.

Last edited:

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
North Donegal's natural hinterland is Derry. There's always been massive interaction between Newry and Dundalk. Whereas Leitrim, Cavan and Monaghan are relatively sparsely populated and border onto the also sparsely populated Fermanagh.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
North Donegal's natural hinterland is Derry. There's always been massive interaction between Newry and Dundalk. Whereas Leitrim, Cavan and Monaghan are relatively sparsely populated and border onto the also sparsely populated Fermanagh.
My suspicion is that it's down to natural hinterlands within which people mix and commute. There are similar variations between counties and electoral districts throughout the island.
Pretty much my own thoughts on it.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Actually Carndonagh and Buncrana have considerable higher rates than either Derry or Strabane. Only a handful of what sound like like very loyalist parts of Belfast are in the same 'league'. I suppose this begs the broader question of what is going on in all these areas? Even the rest of Belfast has considerably lower rates. Are the younger ones declining vaccinations, I wonder?

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Actually Carndonagh and Buncrana have considerable higher rates than either Derry or Strabane. Only a handful of what sound like like very loyalist parts of Belfast are in the same 'league'. I suppose this begs the broader question of what is going on in all these areas? Even the rest of Belfast has considerably lower rates. Are the younger ones declining vaccinations, I wonder?

There's a fair few nationalist areas on belfast on that list too

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
A bit lower down I think? Shankill, Newtownabbey, Sandy Row, Woodvale, Whiteabbey?...correct me if wrong.
No you're right about those areas. But then you have Andersonstown, Lenadoon, Hannahstown etc so my thinking is that it's a class rather than communities issue.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
No you're right about those areas. But then you have Andersonstown, Lenadoon, Hannahstown etc so my thinking is that it's a class rather than communities issue.
Just to add, those areas would have significantly higher populations of younger people who would be unvaccinated, on top of their social issues.

Nov 29, 2018
Why does the Irish government have to introduce unnecessary complexity into the wholereopening?

In France everything goes through the tousanticovid app. Three weeks ago, before the reintroduction of some restrictions and the introduction of the sanitary pass, I stayed in a hotel in Toulouse, on entry I has to scan the hotel QR code into the app. This provides a method of track and trace. Same the next morning when entering the breakfast room.

My sanitary pass, covid certificates, is in a wallet in the same app. The scanning by establishments is all done using the same app.
After first vaccine, many who had had AZ were concerned about the effectiveness of AZ and wanted an alternative, we had the option of signing up to the covidliste app, set up by developers with cooperation of the French government, using the app I got Moderna for my second dose.

Ireland claims to be a world leader in IT but the State has proved unable to put together the most simple and effective app. In France we can use the equivalent of mygov.ie to access our vaccination certificates, why the complete balls up in Ireland, the last EU country to distribute EU passes, and the need for yet more taxpayer funds being diverted to a private "preferred supplier" whose call centre is beyond unfit for purpose.

If there is neither the ability nor desire to do these things in house, why not ask for support from other EU governments rather than further enriching cronies from tax payer funds?

Some information on the development of the covidliste app

Last edited:

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Why does the Irish government have to introduce unnecessary complexity into the wholereopening?

In France everything goes through the tousanticovid app. Three weeks ago, before the reintroduction of some restrictions and the introduction of the sanitary pass, I stayed in a hotel in Toulouse, on entry I has to scan the hotel QR code into the app. This provides a method of track and trace. Same the next morning when entering the breakfast room.

My sanitary pass, covid certificates, is in a wallet in the same app. The scanning by establishments is all done using the same app.
After first vaccine, many who had had AZ were concerned about the effectiveness of AZ and wanted an alternative, we had the option of signing up to the covidliste app, set up by developers with cooperation of the French government, using the app I got Moderna for my second dose.

Ireland claims to be a world leader in IT but the State has proved unable to put together the most simple and effective app. In France we can use the equivalent of mygov.ie to access our vaccination certificates, why the complete balls up in Ireland, the last EU country to distribute EU passes, and the need for yet more taxpayer funds being diverted to a private "preferred supplier" whose call centre is beyond unfit for purpose.

If there is neither the ability nor desire to do these things in house, why not ask for support from other EU governments rather than further enriching cronies from tax payer funds?

Some information on the development of the covidliste app

Part of the problem may be that broadband connectivity, by any means, is poor / unreliable / non existent in many rural areas, particularly along the so called Wild Atlantic Way.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Here's a thread to scare the shit out of you.

Norman Bates

You thought I was nice...
Dec 10, 2018
DublinBayS
Just heard for my sister in Jersey, Channel Islands. She just texted to say

"The great experiment continues. As of yesterday those WITH a positive test for Covid-19 can go outdoors for 2 hours exercise per day here in Jersey. That’s with 1 in 35 of the population positive and 1 in 8 a direct contact."

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Words fail me. These people need to be locked up.

You’re probably not on Facebook but I’ve just looked at that scumbag Ben Gilroys page. I reported him but it’ll do no good but the posts replying to him are beyond belief. There are people out there who are being radicalised by him and his ilk.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
It's hard to believe that so many people could be either so deluded or so wilfully stupid.

The vermin on about hanging doctors and nurses are fascists.
Expropriation of the Shoah. Just like our own dear Mattie McGrath.

Apr 24, 2020
It's hard to believe that so many people could be either so deluded or so wilfully stupid.

The vermin on about hanging doctors and nurses are fascists.
Social media has weaponized stupidity and lunacy.

We used to view crazy people with contempt. But this nonsense of listening to all perspectives, even if deeply moronic or grounded in grift, means you end up with this.

Finding the balance between respecting and empowering low IQ or under educated people, and leaving the big decisions to experts is tricky.

Because the former are rife for malicious manipulation.

Top Bottom