CYBERATTACK THREAD .. Countries, Govs, Corporate etc

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
UPDATE:

Fastly operates what’s known as a content delivery network, or CDN.

CDNs are networks of servers and data centers distributed around the world that allow for the transfer of assets needed for loading internet content.

The company describes its technology as an “edge cloud” platform, which essentially means it places its infrastructure closer to the location where it’s needed to offer users faster response times.

Joshua Bixby, Fastly’s CEO, told the Wall Street Journal Tuesday that the outage wasn’t attack-related.

The company said in a tweet that it had “identified a service configuration that triggered disruptions” across its clusters of machines globally.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
UPDATE:

Fastly operates what’s known as a content delivery network, or CDN.

CDNs are networks of servers and data centers distributed around the world that allow for the transfer of assets needed for loading internet content.

The company describes its technology as an “edge cloud” platform, which essentially means it places its infrastructure closer to the location where it’s needed to offer users faster response times.

Joshua Bixby, Fastly’s CEO, told the Wall Street Journal Tuesday that the outage wasn’t attack-related.

The company said in a tweet that it had “identified a service configuration that triggered disruptions” across its clusters of machines globally.
So not an attack.

Just a simple triggering service configuration on machine clusters linked to an edge cloud platform.

I think I prefer an attack.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
So not an attack.

Just a simple triggering service configuration on machine clusters linked to an edge cloud platform.

I think I prefer an attack.
Positioning your CDN on an edge platform is old hat - the outer edge - far out - is the place to be, ideally implementing secure four-dimensional relative options.

Otherwise your clusters could be interfered with.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Positioning your CDN on an edge platform is old hat - the outer edge - far out - is the place to be, ideally implementing secure four-dimensional relative options.

Otherwise your clusters could be interfered with.
An actual clusterfuck?

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Abundant to nth degree at this stage .. mainly thanks to untraceable usable crypto

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

GCHQ cybersecurity boss sounds alarm over extortion by hackers who are mostly based in former Soviet states

Yip, said that here a while back .. its in effect an attack on a country by another as we have experienced here. Should be act of war. In the HSE case it was by hackers in Russia and Putin and co are fully aware that these guys are operating in the Russia jurisdiction and are tolerating them .. maybe even occasionally using them for state purposes as a quid pro quo

Nov 27, 2018

GCHQ cybersecurity boss sounds alarm over extortion by hackers who are mostly based in former Soviet states

Yip, said that here a while back .. its in effect an attack on a country by another as we have experienced here. Should be act of war. In the HSE case it was by hackers in Russia and Putin and co are fully aware that these guys are operating in the Russia jurisdiction and are tolerating them .. maybe even occasionally using them for state purposes as a quid pro quo
State endorsed criminality. Essentially they are privateers. Any monetary profit from ransomware or selling data is theirs to keep, but effectively they're acting under license from the Russian government, as destabilising the EU, USA and other western states is beneficial to Putin. So a win/win.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
State endorsed criminality. Essentially they are privateers. Any monetary profit from ransomware or selling data is theirs to keep, but effectively they're acting under license from the Russian government, as destabilising the EU, USA and other western states is beneficial to Putin. So a win/win.
So basically it is an act of war, with tacit approval from the Russian state by virtue of them knowing harboring these guys

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Interesting and probably also inevitable .. Ransomware attacks on cloud based storage and the like. This would cause utter mayhem

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Sounds ominous .. never ending

Initial estimates of 200 companies affected. But the hackers got at least four managed service providers. The final tally could rise by orders of magnitude.

Updated this morn after talking with Teamsters Local 2010, one the many orgs locked up by this. Kaseya now says nearly 40 MSPs were hit. Each of those has dozens, hundreds, perhaps thousands of victim customers. Can't imagine what the final count will be.

Results are still pouring in, and they're bad.

@coopsverige
, one of Sweden's largest grocery stores, was caught in this giant ransomware spree. Started closing stores last night. Almost all of its 800 locations have been closed all day day.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Sounds ominous .. never ending

Initial estimates of 200 companies affected. But the hackers got at least four managed service providers. The final tally could rise by orders of magnitude.

Updated this morn after talking with Teamsters Local 2010, one the many orgs locked up by this. Kaseya now says nearly 40 MSPs were hit. Each of those has dozens, hundreds, perhaps thousands of victim customers. Can't imagine what the final count will be.

Results are still pouring in, and they're bad.

@coopsverige
, one of Sweden's largest grocery stores, was caught in this giant ransomware spree. Started closing stores last night. Almost all of its 800 locations have been closed all day day.
Grist to the mill of Microsoft and the new Windows 11 with it's emphasis on security. I know, it's a conspiracy theory too far and I say it largely in jest! It won't do MS any harm though.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Re the recent plethora of scam phonecalls to mobile numbers. All but one person I know who has received these calls had their number included in the last massive Facebook leak. I have 2 mobile numbers and didn't receive a call. That indicates to me that an index of verified numbers was used and not some program that ran through sequences of numbers issued by ISPs.

Vega1447

Feb 17, 2019
Grist to the mill of Microsoft and the new Windows 11 with it's emphasis on security. I know, it's a conspiracy theory too far and I say it largely in jest! It won't do MS any harm though.
Is there any reason to expect that Win 11 will be any more secure than Win 10, Mac or Linux?

What I mean is, have MS explained how they will achieve higher levels of security other than issuing updates?

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Re the recent plethora of scam phonecalls to mobile numbers. All but one person I know who has received these calls had their number included in the last massive Facebook leak. I have 2 mobile numbers and didn't receive a call. That indicates to me that an index of verified numbers was used and not some program that ran through sequences of numbers issued by ISPs.
I have had maybe 4 scam calls, laughably amateur, and I'm not on facebook or linkedin or any such platforms.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Is there any reason to expect that Win 11 will be any more secure than Win 10, Mac or Linux?

What I mean is, have MS explained how they will achieve higher levels of security other than issuing updates?
Windows or any op sys, particularly at home is only as secure as its user is.

At least in a company or organisation it is used on a secure network managed by permanent onsite IT dept and locked down accordingly

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I have been getting occasional calls from an 087 number, the first three digits of which match my mobile number. Say I'm (087)600 1234 (which I'm not!) - the callers number always commences with (087) 600 with the final 4 digits differing from mine.

I haven't answered them but googled and found a thread on Boards.ie - it seems to be a common scam - one is more inclined to answer a familiar looking number.

I block them and tend not to answer calls not in my contacts.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019

I have been getting occasional calls from an 087 number, the first three digits of which match my mobile number. Say I'm (087)600 1234 (which I'm not!) - the callers number always commences with (087) 600 with the final 4 digits differing from mine.

I haven't answered them but googled and found a thread on Boards.ie - it seems to be a common scam - one is more inclined to answer a familiar looking number.

I think we have all got them again and again and again. There's often something weird looking about the number such as 087-042 4612 that zero on the second part of the number seems to be out of place.

A few things that grind my gears about them is that you may be expecting a mobile phone call from a courier who is delivering a package, so you are thinking should I not ignore it even though I'm sure it's a scam number.

So what are the mobile phone companies doing to stop this? They have the technology to understand who is calling and what is being said on a phone call, yet it seems as if there's nothing being done to combat them.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
I think we have all got them again and again and again. There's often something weird looking about the number such as 087-042 4612 that zero on the second part of the number seems to be out of place.

A few things that grind my gears about them is that you may be expecting a mobile phone call from a courier who is delivering a package, so you are thinking should I not ignore it even though I'm sure it's a scam number.

So what are the mobile phone companies doing to stop this? They have the technology to understand who is calling and what is being said on a phone call, yet it seems as if there's nothing being done to combat them.
My actual number begins with a zero after the 086, as does my work mobile.

I seem to be getting most of my spam calls from UK numbers, which given my family and work are in part in the UK is an absolute pain in the arse

seanof

Nov 27, 2018

I had my first of this wave of scam calls today. There was a delay when I answered the call and then a recording started to play in a strange accent. I think social welfare was mentioned before I hung up. Only the most gullible would be likely to be taken in by it. Some friends have had several per day over the last month or so. Mine came from an 085 number that had the required number of digits and no strange characteristics.

I heard a theory lately that these calls, and the emails from Nigeria promising money that we're all familiar with, were deliberately designed to sound dodgy - the idea being that a person who responds is more likely to be gullible / vulnerable, and worth the scammers' time and effort.

Apr 24, 2020
I had my first of this wave of scam calls today. There was a delay when I answered the call and then a recording started to play in a strange accent. I think social welfare was mentioned before I hung up. Only the most gullible would be likely to be taken in by it. Some friends have had several per day over the last month or so.

I heard a theory lately that these calls, and the emails from Nigeria promising money that we're all familiar with, were deliberately designed to sound dodgy - the idea being that a person who responds is more likely to be gullible / vulnerable, and worth the scammers' time and effort.
Social protection, the rozzers, revenue, I've had them all.

And the number mirroring, yep, that's there too.

Block, block, block,

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
I was asked to pay a small fee so my DHL delivery could be released to me. Amateurish effort tbf.

Last edited:

seanof

Nov 27, 2018

I heard someone who purported to be knowledgeable on the subject say that the Irish telecoms companies in particular were doing nothing to combat these calls, although technology is available to do so.

Nov 29, 2018
I heard someone who purported to be knowledgeable on the subject say that the Irish telecoms companies in particular were doing nothing to combat these calls, although technology is available to do so.
When calls come in on my French mobile, in certain cases an alert stating "possible spam" comes up alongside the number. I do not answer and block the number.

jmcc

Nov 27, 2018
I think this is a disturbing development:

It is just another in a long series of leaks. The funny thing is that the happy-clappies who call themselves "technology journalists" have absolutely no idea about how vulnerable the technology upon which they depend is to this kind of attack. They bleated cluelessly about the Snowden revelations without ever understanding them. They continued to use their mobiles, creditcards and loyalty cards without ever realising the huge amounts of data they generated. They didn't seem to realise that it wasn't just state organisations that were involved in surveillance and data brokerage. And when something like this happens, they hop on Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter and other sites to vent their outrage without a hint of irony. :) I think that the innocent not having to fear surveillance was an old Soviet era KBG joke.

Last edited:

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
It is just another in a long series of leaks. The funny thing is that the happy-clappies who call themselves "technology journalists" have absolutely no idea about how vulnerable the technology upon which they depend is to this kind of attack. They bleated cluelessly about the Snowden revelations without ever understanding them. They continued to use their mobiles, creditcards and loyalty cards without ever realising the huge amounts of data they generated. They didn't seem to realise that it wasn't just state organisations that were involved in surveillance and data brokerage. And when something like this happens, they hop on Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter and other sites to vent their outrage without a hint of irony. :) I think that the innocent not having to fear surveillance was an old Soviet era KBG joke.
I started to use Signal rather than Whatsapp a while ago and managed to convert a few of my regular correspondents. Problem is that that some won't change, and it's a matter of ceasing contact with them altogether or continuing to use Whatsapp in parallel with Signal. Who knows, maybe Signal isn't secure either?

jmcc

Nov 27, 2018
I started to use Signal rather than Whatsapp a while ago and managed to convert a few of my regular correspondents. Problem is that that some won't change, and it's a matter of ceasing contact with them altogether or continuing to use Whatsapp in parallel with Signal. Who knows, maybe Signal isn't secure either?
All systems that people think are secure and use them as such are targets. There will be more people attacking a secure system than those defending it and it is only matter of time before such a system is compromised. What distinguishes the winners from the losers in such a situation is the recovery from a compromise.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

And I love this part:

The investigation by the Guardian and 16 other media organisations suggests widespread and continuing abuse of NSO’s hacking spyware, Pegasus, which the company insists is only intended for use against criminals and terrorists.

Ermmmm ... if the fcking software is out there its only a short gap before its in hands of those who should not have it. Naivety of that statement is stunning

jmcc

Nov 27, 2018

And I love this part:

The investigation by the Guardian and 16 other media organisations suggests widespread and continuing abuse of NSO’s hacking spyware, Pegasus, which the company insists is only intended for use against criminals and terrorists.

Ermmmm ... if the fcking software is out there its only a short gap before its in hands of those who should not have it. Naivety of that statement is stunning
That's the wonderful CYA clause.

Top Bottom