CYBERATTACK THREAD .. Countries, Govs, Corporate etc

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
And I would think memories at a human level might remember Chernobyl Children and Irish response through Adi Roche etc. Maybe that is worth something
No, that was Ukraine and Belarus even if the Russians 'gifted' it to them. I very much doubt the Russians give a toss about those left to live in its long shadow.

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
Friend may have been a strong word, but we haven't had a negative relationship with Russia. Through the Cold War years Russian planes were welcomed at Shannon and I seem to remember that that level of subtle neutrality and non-hostility has run through Russian-Irish relationships (apart from the Skibbereen Eagle ).
I seem to remember a pre EU time when an Irish Fisheries Protection ship fired a warning shot across the bows of an intruding Russian vessel. Communist times. The USSR issued a statement describing Irish actions as "hostile".

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
I seem to remember a pre EU time when an Irish Fisheries Protection ship fired a warning shot across the bows of an intruding Russian vessel. Communist times. The USSR issued a statement describing Irish actions as "hostile".

An insignificant event in the overall scheme of things. The importance of Ireland was the use of Shannon as a refuelling stop between Russia and Cuba.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
And so it begins BIGTIME

Apparently from today the business people who acquired the HSE data are publishing same on the interweb. So if you do have non techy, elder acquaintances, then maybe a word to them to be on look out and dont get scammed.

unfortunately with this genie out of bottle this will go on for YEARS now

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
From same link in my last post .. we are not alone:

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said that the same group of online extortionists blamed for striking the Irish health system last week have also hit at least 16 US medical and first response networks in the past year.

In an alert made public on Thursday (May 20) by the American Hospital Association, the FBI said the cybercriminals using the malicious software dubbed 'Conti' have targeted law enforcement, emergency medical services, dispatch centres, and municipalities.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
From same link in my last post .. we are not alone:

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said that the same group of online extortionists blamed for striking the Irish health system last week have also hit at least 16 US medical and first response networks in the past year.

In an alert made public on Thursday (May 20) by the American Hospital Association, the FBI said the cybercriminals using the malicious software dubbed 'Conti' have targeted law enforcement, emergency medical services, dispatch centres, and municipalities.
Interesting. It doesn't say if the hackers were successful in any of these cases but if they were, it would appear the attacks were mitigated somehow, otherwise we'd have heard about it before.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
It appears that The Guardian, The New York Times, The New Stateman and the UK Independent websites are all down:

And Buzzfeed:

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
There are also issues with Twitter.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
It appears that The Guardian, The New York Times, The New Stateman and the UK Independent websites are all down:

And Buzzfeed:

RTE just reporting this. Sounds like a concerted DDOS attack. BBC seemingly also affected.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Buzzfeed is back.

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
Twitter emojis and photos all gone. Reddit too apparently.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
If this is correct, that's a lot of sites.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
And TG4 with their own unique take:

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
I wonder if there's a connection?

Apr 24, 2020
So, as ransomware attacks typically require a crypto currency payment, and there is little else that is so "suitable", maybe a bit more, ahem, focus on Bitcoin and Co might be appropriate.....

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Top Bottom