A United Ireland in our lifetime?

Nov 29, 2018
This has the FF 12.15 to strokesville written large all over it....

The DUP just need time for their mob to set up companies to promote Ulster-Scots so they can reap in the free money that Boris will throw at it and to make the hassle around the NIP quieten down.....
Loosely translated as grants to loyalist community groups aka bribes to the loyalist paramilitaries and drug dealers, not for the first time.

I have taken the Belfast black taxi tour on several occasions, once our driver told us he was from the unionist community. He pointed out the differences between the thriving nationalist areas and the run down state of the loyalist areas. He told us that the reason for this was that the money was being spent for the benefit of the nationalist community but was going directly into the pockets of the thugs, paramilitaries and drug dealers in the loyalist areas. He also said no company would invest in the loyalist areas because of the protection rackets.

Last edited:

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
Loosely translated as grants to loyalist community groups aka bribes to the loyalist paramilitaries and drug dealers, not for the first time.

I have taken the Belfast black taxi tour on several occasions, once our driver told us he was from the unionist community. He pointed out the differences between the thriving nationalist area and the run down state of the loyalist areas. He told us that the reason for this was that the money was being spent for the benefit of the nationalist community but was going directly into the pockets of the thugs, paramilitaries and drug dealers in the loyalist areas. He also said no company would invest in the loyalist areas because if the protection rackets.
Illegal moneylending is popular at the minute, borrow a hundred quid, pay it back at thirty quid a week and at the end of the month you’ll owe…a hundred quid at least, providing you’ve not incurred any late payment charges…or um…penalties…

And no drugs or stolen gear to provide evidence against you…

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
My god. More of this Leo.

Apr 24, 2020
My god. More of this Leo.

"The wrong time" to discuss something. It will always be the wrong time for the DUP.

Ironically, discussing it, against the backdrop of Tories realising they can't shit on the GFA, might focus the DUP on how they can put a UI back to sleep. They tried to beat it to death with Brexit. That failed. So back to making nationalists more apathetic on this.

There is a possibility of a well managed protocol reaping benefits for NI. If NI was working better, and employment could be attracted, then a more affluent electorate will like the status quo...

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
"The wrong time" to discuss something. It will always be the wrong time for the DUP.

Ironically, discussing it, against the backdrop of Tories realising they can't shit on the GFA, might focus the DUP on how they can put a UI back to sleep. They tried to beat it to death with Brexit. That failed. So back to making nationalists more apathetic on this.

There is a possibility of a well managed protocol reaping benefits for NI. If NI was working better, and employment could be attracted, then a more affluent electorate will like the status quo...

Unfortunately as Derryman said previously are DUP are in scorched Earth mode now and i can't see Donaldson being any better as a leader TBH.......it's time to get the conversation onto the front burner and on the doorsteps and keep it going.....

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018

That’s the ironic thing of it all. A rights based generous DUP which makes NI a shared place is their best chance fo secure the Union but they seem to totally miss this point.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
That’s the ironic thing of it all. A rights based generous DUP which makes NI a shared place is their best chance fo secure the Union but they seem to totally miss this point.
The protocol could give them the best of both worlds. It could attract huge FDI but they don’t seem to want that. It looks to me that they want people to stay in poverty as they’ll be more likely to vote for them then. That poverty won’t affect them of course.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Is this the same DUP you're talking about that gave us the Cash for Ash and Red Sky controversies and who had some of it's politicians taking all expenses paid family holidays to a third world country......?.... :D

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
Gathering momentum…

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
As a Party they don't even believe in that for their own community and are completely hostile to that for Others.

It's a case of the Scorpion and the Frog. It's the nature of the beast.

There seems to be a lot of fracturing within the DUP. I know Arlene could be as hardfaced as any of them but she showed signs of wanting to talk to others and of being willing to listen to others even though she couldn't move the party to soften their mindset.

Anyhow most of those with healthier attitudes in the party seem to have left or to have retreated muttering in defeat.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Anyone going to watch this later...?

To be honest i found the IT article with the headline that" There are ‘chasms’ in our understanding of Northern Ireland " to be extremely patronizing and condesending which doesn't bode well for the tone of the programme and has put me off watching it already.....

There also seems to be a suggestion in that headline that the people in NI understand us well enough but not the other way around.....

I'm not sure i'm in the humour for a lecture from an RTE presenter just because her husband is from Belfast... i've been up and down to NI a few times a year before the pandemic for many years.....

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry

To be honest i found the IT article with the headline that" There are ‘chasms’ in our understanding of Northern Ireland " to be extremely patronizing and condesending which doesn't bode well for the tone of the programme and has put me off watching it already.....

There also seems to be a suggestion in that headline that the people in NI understand us well enough but not the other way around.....

I'm not sure i'm in the humour for a lecture from an RTE presenter just because her husband is from Belfast... i've been up and down to NI a few times a year before the pandemic for many years.....
I will give that a miss, that nasal whine is worse than fingernails on a blackboard .

seanof

Nov 27, 2018

I might have a look if I can find absolutely nothing better to do. Going on past experience of RTE productions on related topics and the output of Miriam O'Callaghan in particular, I'd expect it to be partial, unreliable and annoying. O'Callaghan seems to come from the unionist wing of FF, like Micheál Martin and her brother Jim.

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
I might have a look if I can find absolutely nothing better to do. Going on past experience of RTE productions on related topics and the output of Miriam O'Callaghan in particular, I'd expect it to be partial, unreliable and annoying. O'Callaghan seems to come from the unionist wing of FF, like Micheál Martin and her brother Jim.
I agreed with all of that except for the last word. Jim, to be fair to him, is selling a UI vision from the back benches.

Nov 29, 2018
The same old story.

I am looking at "India's Partition: The Forgotten Story" on BBC4

Narrated by Indian film director Gurinder Chadha, it tells of the terrible suffering of her family after partition.

Her film "Viceroy's House", was shown earlier
Is that a repeat or a new program? I saw one on the BBC a few ago, what date is this one being shown?

Enjoyed the "Viceroy's House".

Leo's father's family were very involved in the Indian struggle for independence.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
The same old story.

I am looking at "India's Partition: The Forgotten Story" on BBC4

Narrated by Indian film director Gurinder Chadha, it tells of the terrible suffering of her family after partition.

Her film "Viceroy's House", was shown earlier

The one on after it about Duleep Singh 'the Stolen Maharajah' is also worth a look if you haven't seen it before.....

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Is that a repeat or a new program? I saw one on the BBC a few ago, what date is this one being shown?

Enjoyed the "Viceroy's House".

Leo's father's family were very involved in the Indian struggle for independence.
The programme was made in 2017

Chadha got a lot of flak from the Muslim community for her film Viceroy's House

While the film held Mountbatten, Churchill and the British to account, it was also seen as being anti-Muslim and anti-Pakistan

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
BBC4 advertising a four part series on Hemingway starting next week.

I can get all the UK and Irish stations, both live and on catch up, but find it difficult to find out what is on so appreciate the tips posted here.
Just saw the Hemingway advert

I can't stand Hemingway. I pick up something bogus at the heart of his writing, despite--or perhaps because of---his pose as a macho writer of great courage and integrity.

But his story is fascinating, and I will try to watch this series, and will keep you posted--perhaps on the "TV and Netflix" thread.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018
The Lakeland Kingdom
2000:-

Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams has predicted there could be a united Ireland in 16 years time.

"If we want to make progress then there is no reason whatsoever, no reason why we cannot celebrate the 1916 Rising in the year 2016, in a free and united Ireland."

2021:-

The former Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams said he thought there could be a united Ireland within the next 20 years.

Mr Adams, 72, was asked whether he would see a united Ireland if he lived to be 90.

"I would like to think so," he replied.

Somehow I can't see myself asking Mr Adams for the lotto numbers, mystic meg he an't...

Nov 29, 2018

Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams has predicted there could be a united Ireland in 16 years time.

"If we want to make progress then there is no reason whatsoever, no reason why we cannot celebrate the 1916 Rising in the year 2016, in a free and united Ireland."

The former Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams said he thought there could be a united Ireland within the next 20 years.

Mr Adams, 72, was asked whether he would see a united Ireland if he lived to be 90.

Somehow I can't see myself asking Mr Adams for the lotto numbers, mystic meg he an't...

You're back

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
This is quite a big intervention from the NYT to publish this story.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
This is a very long and very detailed thread on today's Northern Ireland Protocol judgement.

The crux of this is that because Parliament is sovereign (one of the main talking points of pro-Brexit campaigners ironically), article 6 of the Act of Union has been effectively repealed by the Withdrawal Agreement.

This has political unionism in something of a tailspin right now as a fracture emerges between pragmatic and pro European unionism (advising a row back from the hard/ultra Brexit that causes the current difficulty) and the more idealogical brand of political unionism (who want their cake and eat it.)

It's going to be incredibly hard for idealogical unionism to square the circle of getting what they want in terms of the hardest of Brexits and retaining their place in the union because of the ramifications of their actions.

bang bang

Dec 5, 2018

My feeling as well and with both FF-FG dragging their heels we will be caught on the hop and unprepared as usual...........
Thankfully MM will be gone, he is a disaster in terms of preparation for what I believe is now inevitable.

Zen

Dec 5, 2020
Martin, for all sorts of reasons, is on borrowed time as leader of FF. The only question is when his turn as Taoiseach ends and Varadkar takes over, is whether the FF leadership contest, results in the collapse of government or not.

bang bang

Dec 5, 2018
The Duppers are in the main bigots, this affliction doesn't encourage sensible or rational behaviour.

Top Bottom